FORD CROWN VICTORIA ENGINE PROBLEM

1986 Ford Crown Victoria • 145,000 miles

YESTERDAY I STARTED MY ENGINE AND HEARD A LOUD CONTINUOUS WHINING. IT TOOK A FEW SWCONDS TO REALIZE THAT IT WAS THE STARTER MOTOR RUNNING AT FULL SPEED. THE ENGINE WAS ALSO RUNNING AND THE KEY HAD BEEN RELEASED.
MY FIRST ATTEMPT TO STOP THE STARTER WAS TO TURN OFF THE ENGINE WITH THE KEY. THE ENGINE DID STOP BUT THE STARTER CONTINUED RUNNING. NEXT I TURNED THE KEY BACK TO THE RUN POSITION AND ATTEMPTED TO PUT THE CAR INTO DRIVE. I'M NOT SURE AT WHAT POINT THE STARTER STOPPED BUT THE ENGINE STARTED AGAIN AND I WAS ABLE TO GET HOME.
SINCE THE MOTOR RAN FOR CLOSE TO A MINUTE I'M AFRAID START IT AGAIN WITHOUT SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO. A FRIEND SUGGESTED THAT IT MIGHT BE RELATED TO THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH SINCE I HAD TOLD HIM OF PREVIOUS INTERMITTENT STARTING PROBLEMS.
COULD YOU PLEASE SUGGEST A COURSE OF ACTION FOR ME TO
TROUBLESHOOT THIS PROBLEM?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION