HARD STEERING

1985 Honda Prelude • 4 cylinder FWD Manual •

I have replaced the Upper aND LOWER ball joints and the tied rods.
But the car seems hard to steer when stopped or moving slowly, tires are over-inflated slitghly, Wheel alignment I have done myself and I have always done it myself on older hondas with great success.
For the life of me I have adjusted the Toe-in Toe-out numerous times to no avail.
Could you tell me why the steering is tight?
Pdrake

Is vehicle equiped with power steering and have you checked that?

Toe-in and toe-out has nothing to do with heavy steering.

Did you check the steering gear box and column joints?

No power steering.
I could check the steering rack, have to get a special tool for the lock nut in order to adjust it. Apparently if there is to much slack in the rack it can make it tight.

Thanks.

Pdrake
Too much slack is not going to make it tight. Only if the rack has been adjusted too tight would it be heavy.

Check the strut bearings, it they are bad, the steering would be heavy.

Thanks for the info. It never Dawned on me to check the Strut Bearings. Makes sense now!

Pdrake
P.S.
Done more REsearch. The struts are stationary on the Prelude. They have wishbone suspension on the front, so having said that the bearings are obsolete because they are mounted tight to the chassis.
The older cars with with conventional struts had bearings.

Pdrake
1985 is a transitioal period between wishbone and Macpherson and the information in our database indicates it is Macpherson.

Are the tire sizes standard or oversized?

I HAVE JUST STATED THAT MINE IS WISHBONE!
TIRES ARE STCOK!

Pdrake
Oooooopppssss. Sorry just got out'a'bed had bad nite and my caps lock was on.

Pdrake
Its ok.

Jack up front of vehicle and test the turning effort. If it is heavy, the steering rack or its pinion bearings could be faulty.

For adjustment of the rack, I normally use adjustable plier with the aid of a 14mm spanner to loosen. A punch would be the last resort if the plier does not loosen the outer lock nut.

Since the ball joints have been replaced, I can't think of any other components that can cause the heavy steering apart from the rack.