DODGE RAMCHARGER GAS PROBLEM

1985 Dodge Ramcharger

My dodge ramcharger sat for 2 years before i got it from my dad, ive been trying to get it running again but its having issues, i can get it running if i push in on the gas and hold it at a idle RPM, if i let off the gas it will just putter and die, i put a new gas filter in it and tried the timing but still the same, i also did not remove any old gas from when it sat but the tank was just about on empty so i just added 2 gal of gas to it and some system cleaner but its still not wanting to run on its own, i did notice that when i tinker with the Carburetor i can get it to idle fine but if i hit the gas in any way a latch locks the small flap open and it putters and dies, ive tried everything i can to keep it running and dont know what else to do, it you got any ideas that would help i would like to hear them, also note im kinda straped for cash at the moment and a cheep fix would be best

Year: 1985
Make: Dodge
Model: Ramcharger
Engine: 5.9 V8
Replaced: gas filter, battery, water pump, spark plugs and spark plug wires, added gas system treatment to the gas
Background: Sat for 2 years with no battery and dead water pump
Issue: Will not hold a RPM just putters and dies
Carburetor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Autoline-Carburetor/1985-Dodge-Ramcharger-2WD/_/N-ijn6qZ8vd1l?itemIdentifier=56745_0_6303_

Any Help would be nice
Leo34

Sounds like a carb issue. From sitting, the gaskets have dried out and cannot do there job. It may have to be overhauled.

Any other ideas it might be? I really dont know anything about the Carburetor and dont got the $400-$500 to replace it, maybe I can tune it or something?

Leo34
I would start there. Anything else would not help until the carb is functioning correctly.

So I need to look into a carb kit then?

Leo34
Carb kit, float and lots of carb cleaner for all the passages.

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the advice.

Leo34