DIESEL IN A GAS ENGINE

1984 Ford F-150 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 200,000 miles

A friend - ex really, now - put about 10 gal of diesel in my truck when he ran out of gas. Then, because it wasn't getting what it needed and kept stalling out he put in about 5 gal of gasoline. What damage does this cause and do I have to flush tanks (2), lines, filters and the engine? Grr

This truck is a 1984 but the owner before me took out the computer and put in points, etc. It's more like the trucks from the 70's. I am converting it back piece by piece and would like to know if it's worth messing with now?
Pennye

May can help!

Carb or throttle body?

Mechanical Fuel pump or electric?

300 CID?

What's the propane thing about.

WILL IT RUN? STAY RUNNING?

Dependent on your answers, we may be able to drain the tank, without dropping it!

I do not think the diesel will harm your engine.

I'm sorta a "McGyver" kinda feller!

Your Turn

The Medic

I'm not sure of your questions.

It has a carb and a mechanical fuel pump. Don't know what a 300 CID is. When I go to any of the local car parts stores and they bring up the list of Ford F-150's there is always a listing for one that runs on propane - never heard of that before now - and once they gave me a part for one that runs on propane and it didn't even begin to fit. So, I thought that might be important to mention.

It will not run or stay running.

Something I probably should mention is that I also found out that this guy let it run out of gas often so I'm sure the dirty sediment from the bottom of the gas tank got into the engine as well. I keep wondering why he replaced the fuel filters (it has two) every other month. I'm now thinking he didn't know much about rebuilding this truck and there are other things I should be looking at.

I have learned first hand, despite what many say, running an older model gas powered vehicle on diesel can damage the engine when it's not drained out immediately. The character who put the diesel in my truck ran it for several days that way. It stalled often so he fought keeping it moving forward. He was trying to bring the truck back when it finally died completely. Now trying to start it only drains the battery. Primed the carb and it ran for about 100 yards before dying completely. I'm having it towed home today.

The really stupid part is that in the state I live in propane is much a great deal more expensive that gas so who would even want to buy it in the first place.

So, McGyver, are those answers you can work with?

Pennye
ALLRIGHTY THEN!

LETS TRY SOME SOME STUFF!

HAVING THE MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP MAKES THINGS MUCH EZer FOR ME!

I AM A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY. MY SET UP IS SIMILAR

THIS IS THE PROCESS WE CAN TRY, IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND I CAN SEND PICS FROM MY JEEP TO MAYBE HELP--SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE YOU ARE SOMEWHAT MECHANICAL?

THIS IS PRETTY STRAIGHTFORWARD: 1) CAN YOU GET 'IM "SORTA LEVEL"-UP HIGH ON JACK-STANDS? OR PARK HIM LEVEL NEAR A DEEP DITCH OR DEPRESSION?

2) IF WE TAKE LOOSE THE FUEL LINE (SUCTION LINE) OF THE FUEL PUMP (NOT THE FEED TO THE CARB) USUALLY THE SUCTION LINE IS RUBBER AND THE OUTLET SIDE, TO THE CARB IS STEEL. ADD A PLASTIC COUPLING, SUCH AS A VACUUM LINE COUPLING THAT WILL FIT TIGHT IN THE "SUCTION LINE". THEN ADD (FOR INSTANCE) 12 FEET OF FUEL LINE TO THE COUPLING (MAYBE 5/16" OR 3/8" FUEL LINE), AGAIN A TIGHT FIT. BEING A "McGYVER" I HAVE LOTS OF HOSE AND TUBING, THE MORE THE MERRIER!

3) NOW IT'S JUST PHYSICS. MYSELF, I USE CLEAR TUBING, IF I CAN---I STAND UP HIGHER THAN THE FUEL TANK AND WITH MY MOUTH, (WHATEVER YOU PREFER) I S. UCK ON THE LINE TILL I HAVE FUEL WITHIN A FOOT OF ME!

4) I CRIMP THE LINE OFF HARD. MAYBE EVEN 2 OR 3 PLACES WHERE THE FUEL IS IN THE LINE

5) I THEN DROP DOWN BELOW TANK LEVEL--THE HIGHER THE TANK---THE LOWER YOU CAN GET THE BETTER!

YOUR SUCTION LINE GOES INTO THE TANK, CLOSE TO THE BOTTOM---TRYING TO GET A HOSE DOWN THE FILLER IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE ANY MORE! THIS MAY GO SLOW DUE TO THE SIZE OF THE LINE. BUT IT WILL WORK!

6) PUT THE END OF THE TUBING INTO A FUEL CAN---RELEASE THE CRIMPS!--IT SHOULD BEGIN TO SIPHON! SOMETIMES IT MAY TAKE AN ATTEMPT OR TWO!

7) HAVE ENOUGH FUEL CANS HANDY TO CATCH IT ALL! STAY WITH IT, THE HOSE MAY JUMP OUT!

8) I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING WHEN "WILLY" MY '46 WILLYS JEEP GOT 1/2 GALLON OF WATER FROM THE SERVICE STATION, HIS FUEL LINE DRAWS FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK, SO IT CONSTANTLY LET THE WATER GO STRAIGHT TO THE CARB (NOW I HAVE INSTALLED A GLASS BOWL FILTER/ WATER SEPARATOR)

9) THIS IS ALSO HOW, LATELY, I HAVE BEEN REMOVING THE RAIN/ DIRTY WATER OFF OF THE SWIMMING POOL COVER---IT IS PRESENTLY DOING THIS NOW! WIFEY WANTS TO OPEN IT SOON.I WILL TAKE A PIC OF THAT TOO!

10) CAN YOU HANDLE THIS?--THEY DO MAKE "SIPHON PUMPS" (SQUEEZE BY HAND) INSTEAD OF YOU MOUTH

11) HAVE FIRE FIGHTING EQUIPMENT HANDY---YOU NEVER KNOW!

12) GOOD TO GO? OR WANT SOME PICS?

McGYVER WISHED HE HAD BEEN AN AIRBORNE RANGER--CAPABLE OF ANY TASK, SET BEFORE HIM!

(PICS 1 AND 2) I HAVE TWO JEEPS---"WILLY" ('46) "MR. JEEP" ('77) BOTH WERE BASKET CASES--DONE 'EM BY MYSELF!

(PIC 3) DRIVERS FENDER. FROM THE FUEL PUMP, IT FEEDS UP HIGH NEW GLASS BOWL SEPARATOR(IT'S BODY PAINTED O.D.) IT'S 1ST FROM THE TANK, AFTER THE FUEL PUMP (UNSEEN BELOW) THEN IT FEEDS THE GLASS FUEL FILTER BELOW IT (SEEN TOWARDS THE FRONT)

(PICS 4 AND 5) GLIMPSES OF MY "IN THE HOUSE" "MANCAVE"-RANGER ROOM/ ARMY ROOM, THANKS TO MY CURRENT (#2) "UNDERSTANDING AND LOVING WIFE!" ----GARAGE IS MY OTHER DOMAIN!

YOUR TURN

AFTER ALL OF THIS

HOOK IT ALL BACK UP RIGHT

FILL TANK WITH FUEL

KEEP HIM RUNNING WITH A "HAND" SQUIRT BOOTLE OF GAS DOWN THE CARB

THIS WILL GET MOST OF IT OUT, HOPEFULLY THE REST GETS DILUTED BY FRESH GAS, AND IT MIGHT STUMBLE A BIT, AND NOT DIE, BEFORE IT'S ALL GONE, MAY TAKE SOME DRIVING!

Thank you very much. Yes, I can do that. I have found a mechanic I can trust who is going to inspect the engine so I should be good to go.

You are funny - after reading your "how-to" I kinda knew to hook it all back up and put gas in it. However - I wasn't sure what I should expect after all that so that info was needed.

You saved me hundreds - Thank You!

Pennye
The glass bowl idea is great! Is that something you invented or is it available at the store?

Neat jeeps

Your wife sounds like a real winner -

Thanks for the pics

Pennye
Im sorry for cutting into the conversation but I couldn't help to see Jeep on the picture. It looks like an MB. Did you custumize the CJ to look like a military jeep? I have an original 1952 M38. I am working on restoring it because the body needs a lot of work. I was wondering if you knew where I could find an original M38 body. If you can help I would apreciate it.

Jah Rafa
It's a CJ-2A, Trying to make it look like an MB! Not too many can tell the differences, started out with frame, tranny, transfer-case, engine, both axles. Nothing else, built it from there, all by myself. Back during the Evil 1st female days! '86-'94---Click on my avatar. Message me with your Email address, I can maybe help with the body.I can send you Walmart Albums (EZ to send and view) of my Jeep stuff, if you wish. Just leave your address in Messages.I will share mine there too. Just not here for the world to see!

There's maybe 4 of us within 15 miles that know the military stuff pretty well, back in '90, I had to settle for the 2A, could not find a MB, I do have a '43 MB grill on it now! Shovel and Ax are next! We just sorta make stuff work, best we can.

Pennye, Wonderful Female. Now! Just can't find one any better!

If it starts sounding rough, get a horn like my train horn, it'll go with the diesel truck sound!

Here'e the pool siphon!

Here's Pup in '46 Willys w/ 1953 Sears Allstate Aluminum Top, made by Grumman Aircraft. Feller flagged me down, sold it to me for $50, still in the box! I made a heater core heater and put in it for the Winter. This one is the Original wooden prototype "Sahara Breeze".I have a nicer sheet metal version for back-up heat in the other Jeep. Will run you outta there!

Keep me posted on your truck! Jail Status w/ truck last user!

By the way, I'm glad I could help you, you owe me lunch!

The Medic

Take GOOD pics of what you are doing---others reading this may want to see!

The Medic

Jah Rafa,

I have a buddy, in Arkansas, Somebody he knows got the "MB" body, he said it was beautiful! (I can truly understand his use of that adjective in a Jeep situation)

To heck with Original, I like Brand New Better. Nobody is gonna dispute the difference! Looks like the M-38(not M-38A1) price is somewhat inline, 'course Ebay always has everything, and this same thing might be on there!

Mine is really Fiberglass, all but the Windshield assembly and the MB Grill I swapped. I gave $900 for it in the early 90s. It required that I run a separate ground to everything "Body" Electrical. In 20 years time, the body has never rusted! It's quieter/ lighter than a steel body.I have to tell people, it's glass, few figure it out themselves.

Just can't say it any plainer, I Love CJs, I especially LOVE "WILLY"!

He sent me the link to site.I gladly pass it on to another Jeep Feller!

My daughter began learning to drive "Him" at age 8(Summers, when she stayed with me) At 10, She was as proficient with 4X4ing him as I! At 16, she took her test in him. No seat-belts (before 1963, most cars did not have 'em, and it's legal not to have them, in the old vehicles)

After the seat belt issue was resolved, she was told to start the car. So she got out, grabbed the crank, and Hand-Cranked him up, instead of using the 'lectric starter. Just to add that special touch, to impress the grader.

Of course she passed!The grader said that he had never seen such confidence!

This is her, now 21, with my 3 year old Grandson visiting at Christmas. Looks like the Grandson, may be contemplating lessons!

The Medic