WHY WONT ENGINE TURN OVER?

1984 Chevrolet Camaro • 5,000 miles

I have an "84 Z28 Camaro. It has a 383 stroker motor, 5 speed manuel, 3.73 posi. I just purchased the car. Haven't had time to mess with it much. Motor has approx 5000miles on it. After engine has cooled down it will turn over and start rite up.
Jeff Pauwels

IF IT DOES TURN OVER

JUST SORTA TRIES OR YOU HEAR IT WANTING TO TRY AFTER ITS AT OPERATING TEMP.

COULD BE THAT YOUR STARTER IS TOO CLOSE TO THE FLYWHEEL

THIS CAN BE EZily AND INEXPENSIVELY PROVEN OR DIS-PROVEN TO BE THE PROBLEM

OBTAIN A FEW "STARTER MOTOR SHIMS" FROM A PARTS STORE (USUALLY THIN ONES WILL WORK

MOST OF THEM YOU CAN INSTALL BY JUST LOOSENING THE 2 STARTER BOLTS SO THAT THE STARTER DROPS DOWN MAYBE AN EIGHTH OF AN INCH OR SO.

THEN SLIDE A SHIM IN AT AN ANGLE AND SORTA "STRADDLE" ONE BOLT WITH THE FORKED END, THEN ROTATE THE SHIM AROUND THE OTHER BOLT. TIGHTEN THE STARTER BOLTS BACK UP. NOW THE STARTER IS SPACED AWAY FROM THE FLYWHEEL SLIGHTLY. GIVE HIM A TRY!

SOMETIMES IT MAY REQUIRE A LITTLE MORE SHIMMING...JUST REMEMBER THEY ARE IN THERE, THE NEXT TIME YOU PULL THE STARTER.

THIS IS SEVERAL TYPES OF SHIMS----I'M REFERRING TO THE 2nd SET DOWN FOR $4.99

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Miscellaneous-Repair-Parts/Starter-Shim-Universal-Type/_/N-25l8?filterByKeyWord=CHEVROLET+STARTER+SHIMS&fromString=search

RESULTS?