OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS BATTERY PROBLEM

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass • 112,000 miles

Battery charged 75%, starter turns engine over great 3 times, 4th time battery low, then just clicks. Did not drive car, let idle maybe 5 minutes. Alternator maybe out?
Madole

Nope, battery cannot hold its charge.

Replace it

This happened on my old battery, the clicking and not starting, so I bought a brand new battery, it still did the same as with my old battery

Madole
Starter motor may have a dead spot. Try tapping it with a hammer while someone has it in the start position.

I'm that 71 old lady, how would the starter have anything to do with also the lights in and out of the car go dim too? If when the battery was charged and when I tried starting it was on different days those three times

Madole
Went out and bought a new alternator, after installed by a friend, he used jumper cables on the battery for about 10 minutes while my car was off, it started right up, so far i've started it three times on its own alone, it starts immediately, the multimeter took a reading 14.58. You think that might have been the answer, alternator?

Madole
Went out and bought a new alternator, after installed by a friend, he used jumper cables on the battery for about 10 minutes while my car was off, it started right up, so far i've started it three times on its own alone, it starts immediately, the multimeter took a reading 14.58. You think that might have been the answer, alternator? Many people have wondered why it has such a big alternator for a small 6 cyl engine, do you know why?

Madole