BLACK SMOKE COMING FROM EXHAUST

1983 Jeep CJ7 • 125,000 miles

Thank you for your website. I have an all original 83 CJ7 jeep which is blowing black smoke from the exhaust. If the Jeep is idling you won't see any smoke, but when you increase the throttle it blows heavy dark smoke. What can I do with her to stop the smoke problem? Many thanks, David
Dlarr

Dave: Black smoke indicates that the fuel mixture is too rich. Is the air filter clean? Is the choke opening fully?

Just an FIY, CJMEDVAC is the tech to give the best advice on CJ vehicles. Most likely he will pick up on this. However, if he doesn't, let me know about the questions I asked.

LET'S START OUT WITH THE MEAT AND POTATOES

FEEL FREE TO ADD ANYTHING ELSE. SPACE IS NO PROBLEM. USUALLY I WILL RESPOND WITH NOVEL-LIKE ANSWERS (AS THIS PROBABLY WILL BE) THAT GO ON FOREVER. SO PLEASE. SPILL YOUR GUTS. PICS ARE ALWAYS NICE TOO!

SORTA NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS: ENGINE SIZE. TRANNY (MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC). TRANSFER CASE

MODIFICATIONS THAT YOU OR OTHERS HAVE DONE. INTAKE. CARB. EXHAUST. IGNITION SYSTEM AND COMPONENTS. VACUUM LINES/ WIRING SNATCHED OFF AND GONE

WHERE DO YOU SORTA LIVE. ARE YOU EMISSIONS TESTED IN YOUR REGION. BEING THIS OLD, DO THEY HAVE MORE LENIENT TESTS FOR YOUR RIG?

WHAT ZACKLY DO YOU DO WITH YOUR BABY. LOOKS AND REGULAR PERFORMANCE TO PICK UP CHICKS.A ROCK CRAWLER.A DRAGSTER. ALWAYS WEARS MUD?

DO YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR JEEP?

I LOVE BOTH OF MINE. YOU CAN NEVER "OUT LOVE ME, WITH MINE". BUT CONTINUE TO TRY!

I HAVE MANY REFERENCES. LOTS OF PICS OF MY OWN REPAIRING.I'M DECENT AT TALKIN' YOU THRU STUFF

. KNOWING YOUR ABILITIES (AND ENGINE KNOWLEDGE) AND TOOL COLLECTION, LIKE MAYBE A TIMING LIGHT AND A DWELL/ TACHOMETER (PORTABLE TYPE).I MIGHT BE ABLE TO "TAYLOR" MY RURAL ROUTE EXPLANATIONS TO SUIT YOU BETTER. YES, WE MAY NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE (SORTA MAYBE INEXPENSIVE ONES)

I CANNOT HELP YOU MUCH WITHOUT SOME OF THIS STUFF. WE CAN DISCUSS OBTAINING THINGS AS WE GO (I MAY HAVE SOME INEXPENSIVE OPTIONS UP MY SLEEVE).I'M MORE FAMILIAR WITH "STOCK" OR "CLOSE TO STOCK" CJs. IF YOU SLING IN A "2005 V-12 CHEVY MOTOR. WITH SOME WILD TRANNY.I'M PROBABLY NOT THE ONE TO AID YOU!

. MOST OF THE TIME, A "CJ FIX" IS NOT. POUR IN SOME LIQUID. OR TURN A SCREW IN TWO TURNS WHILE YOU TEXT TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND. DOING IT RIGHT, IS THE ONLY WAY. AND YOU REALLY GOTTA REPORT BACK YOUR FINDINGS AND ACCURATELY. OTHERWISE "WE" WILL BE "CHASING. YOUR TAIL"!

JUST SO YOU KNOW, SEVERAL OTHER CJs AND I HAVE CREATED THREADS HUNDREDS OF RESPONSES LONG (HERE ON 2CARPROS). AND OTHER MONTHS AND MONTHS. AS WE JUST SORTA CONTINUED TO FIX OTHER STUFF ON THEIR JEEPS

THIS IS HOW I GET MY KICKS, SO FEEL FREE TO KEEP ON RESPONDING, I'LL ATTEMPT TO AID YOU ALL I CAN

I TRY TO HAVE FUN DOING THIS STUFF. SO BE A SPORT.I DO PICK ON PEOPLE (JUST IN FUN). PICK BACK. DON'T GET MAD AND TAKE YOUR FOOTBALL HOME!

ALL RIGHTY THEN. YOUR TURN!

Thanks Joe and The Medic! This is my first time on this site and I am already seeing that I will enjoy the brotherhood very much. To do my best to answer the questions so you can help me more. I bought the 83 Jeep in 2002. I found it online from a dealer in Chapin SC, but based on the paperwork I received with the CJ, the Jeep spent its life in Florida. The body and engine are original with very minor cancer spots in places around the windshield. The engine is the 6 cyl and the air filter was switched out from what I can tell. It is a small rectangle filter and not the typical AMC drum filters they used back then. The Jeep is babied beyond normal. She only comes out on nice sunny days and never has her top nor doors on.

So, I have used air filter cleaner today and will oil the filter shortly. When I removed the air filter I could tell there was fuel in the pan under the filter itself. So your comment about running rich makes perfect sense. So the information I guess I need is how do I adjust the richness. Also, is there anything else I can do to improve the performance. Regarding my resources at my disposal are the basic tools (I have a huge tool collection, but tools for everything and not just mechanic tools) and a good brain to follow instructions. I am strong with vehicle wiring, but not so strong with engine moving parts. I spent a few years decades ago working in a garage and picked up some knowledge from the mechanics. I definitely do not have a timing light so hopefully we can resolve the problem without that or I will have to buy one. Oh, you also asked about the transmission and it is manual. Let me know if I missed something and also if you need pictures of anything if it will help.

Best regards to you both,
David

Dlarr
Dave: We're glad to help. I am going to wait for CJ to reply to you. He is the EXPERT on CJ vehicles. If he doesn't get back to you, I will follow up. However, I know him and he spends time just looking for questions like this. Lol

Good luck and let me know if there is something I can do to help.

Thanks again Joe! You are a good man.

All the best,
David

Dlarr
OK!

SEEMS THE BIG GUYS ARE NOT SENDING ME E-MAIL NOTIFICATIONS TO ANYTHING I HAVE ANSWERED LATELY. RATHER, ANY ACTIVITY ON A POST THAT I HAVE ADDED TO

LUCKY FOR YOU.I ALWAYS CHECK THRU THE CJ 5, CJ7, AND WRANGLERS. PRIOR TO LOOKING AT ANY OTHER SUBSTANDARD VEHICLE TO ANSWER. EMAIL OR NO EMAIL!

TOO BAD FOR THE OTHER ONES.I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO "MANUALLY" RE-LOOK-UP EVERY ANSWER I HAVE GIVEN TO THE "OTHER SUBSTANDARD VEHICLES", JUST TO SEE IF THEY DID RESPOND. OR NOT

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. LIKE GETTING 25 NOTIFICATIONS OR MORE, ALL AT ONCE, BUT DAYS/ WEEKS LATER, AFTER THEY ARE PISSED AT YOU AND HAVE SEEKED HELP ELSEWHERE!

NO FEAR---CJ MEDEVAC TAKES CARE OF THE CJs!

SO IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE KINDA NEW TO THE CJ GAME. MAYBE LACKING SOME OF THE UNDER HOOD LINGO. MAYBE YOU NOT KNOW IF THINGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED OR NOT!

TOOLING. ABILITY. OTHER QUESTIONS ASKED BY ME IN "MY ANSWER 1"?

YOUR AIR CLEANER DESCRIPTION SOUND LIKE MAYBE YOU HAVE A "WEBER" OR "SOLEX" CARBURETOR. NOT THE STOCK "CARTER BBD"

I GOTTA KNOW WHAT WE ARE STARTING WITH. WEBER AND SOLEX COME IN DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS AND (TO ME) ARE A BIT MORE DIFFICULT TO TUNE (AND UNDERSTAND).I FEEL SURE THEY ARE "GOOD", TUNED BY A HIGHER-TECH FELLER THAN ME.

.I GAVE UP ON MY WEBER AFTER PLAYING WITH IT FOR OVER A YEAR.I STUCK A 390 CFM HOLLEY AND AN OFFENHAUSER 4 BARREL INTAKE ON MY 258 (4.2L)(PICS ABOVE) AND INSTALLED AN O2 SENSOR ON IT TO AID IN JET SELECTION

BUT YOU REALLY CAN'T BEAT A BBD. SIMPLE TO TUNE. PROPERLY TUNED, YOU CAN SQUEEZE 16 MPGs OUT OF IT.I JUST HAD TO HAVE MORE (2 MORE, AS IT ENDED UP) THUS I SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT MAKING MY HOLLEY WORK BETTER. NOT TO MENTION AROUND $800 FOR IT AND THE INTAKE. MY FRIENDS KEPT TELLING ME I COULD BUY A LOT OF GAS FOR $800, I JUST HAD TO PROVE I COULD IMPROVE OVER THE BBD. ALONG THE WAY I TRIED ABOUT EVERY "GIMMICK" THERE WAS TO AID IN IT, WITH NO IMPROVEMENTS

I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU 2 PICS.1ST IS A "CARTER BBD" (ORIGINAL) VIEW FROM FRONT

.2ND IS A "WEBER DGEV" THERE ARE OTHER "LOOK ALIKE" BRANDS

. LAY YOUR HOOD BACK ON YOUR WINDSHIELD FRAME. STAND ON THE BUMPER. BOTH SIDES. GIMME SOME FULL ENGINE SHOTS AND ANY MORE YOU WANT. IT'S NICE TO HAVE A PIC OF THE WHOLE JEEP, SO WE CAN SEE WHAT WE ARE BLINDLY WORKING ON!

I AM "SUSPECTING" YOURS HAS A CHOKE ISSUE. IT MAY FEEL LIKE IT'S "HOLDING BACK" AS YOU DRIVE?

I PREFER A MANUAL CHOKE INSTALLATION. PUTS ME "IN COMMAND OF WHEN IT'S OFF OR ON. ALSO ELIMINATES PARTS STICK AND BINDING (JUST BY COMPLETELY ELIMINATING THEM)

I EVEN HAVE PICS SHOWING HOW THEY ARE INSTALLED/ HOW THEY WORK

SO HERE'S THE OTHER SET OF PICS I WANT FROM YOU

TAKE OFF THE AIR FILTER. LEAVE IT OFF. TOUCH NUTHIN' ELSE UNDER THERE!

. JEEP IS/ NEEDS TO BE, DEAD COLD. ACTUATE THE GAS PEDAL (DID SOMETHING CLICK AT THE CARB?) IF SO, IT WAS THE CHOKE CLOSING (LIKE IT SHOULD)

TAKE A PIC OF THE TOPSIDE OF THE CARB!

. NOW DRIVE IT. MAYBE 3-5 MILES. IT SHOULD BE AT OPERATING TEMP BY NOW

. TAKE ANOTHER PIC, TOP OF THE CARB. ARE THE CHOKE BUTTERFLIES STANDING 100% STRAIGHT UP?

NOW. GO TO THE PASSENGER SIDE TAKE SEVERAL PICS OF THE CHOKE COVER AND SURROUNDING AREA (IF NEED-BE, I'LL TRY TO EXPLAIN HOW TO ADJUST THE CHOKE. IF INDEED, IT NEEDS IT)

HAVE YOU POSTED A QUESTION IN THE PAST?

I'M OVER HERE, IN WESTERN S.C.---80? MILES FROM CHAPIN. ARE YOU CLOSE?

YOUR TURN. PICS. ANY MORE INFO?

1ST PIC DID NOT MAKE IT THRU

MY BIG CAMERA PICS HAVE TO BE RESIZED.I MUSTA NOTA WENT SMALL ENOUGH. HERE'S ANOTHER PIC OF THE MISSING (OEM) CARTER BBD CARB

Thanks Medic, I will take the engine pictures and send them over. I have attached 2 pictures I found on this computer that shows you the baby we are working on. I was concerned that the carb wasnt original, but was hoping it was just the filter that was changed.

I will get the photos you outlined in your message.

Thanks again Medic
David

Dlarr
Good morning Medic, I have tried 2 times to send over 7 pictures, but it has failed both times. I will try to send 2 at a time and then if I get them out to you, I will rewrite everything from my original messasge. Too bad I didn't think to copy the message on the 1st attempt so I wouldn't have to keep rewriting. The first version is always better.

All the best
David

Dlarr
Here is pictures 3 and 4.

Dlarr
Page 1 of 7