PINGING

1983 Buick Regal • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 162,000 miles

I have a 1983 Buick Regal with a 3.8 liter engine I am getting a slight ping on acceleration. I have correctly adjusted the timing and recently had the heads replaced. Since then I have a slight coolant leak but it doesn"t seem to overheating. Do you think this coolant leak could cause the pinging?
Ramgeo

Check for a knock sensor on the side of the block, (driver's side, as I recall). If you watch the timing light, you should see it retard momentarily when you tap the sensor with a small hammer. If the timing doesn't change, replace the knock sensor.

I can't remember if there is a computer module on your car. If there is not, there will be a vacuum advance mechanism on the side of the distributor. Use a hand vacuum pump on that servo to see if the timing changes when you increase the vacuum. If it does not, check the mechanism to see if it is leaking or sticking.