JEEP CJ7 ENGINE PROBLEM

1981 Jeep CJ7

Problem: CJ-7 sat for years, started up, then died after about a mile.

background: about 10 years ago I bought a pile of parts that somewhat resembled a jeep. In that pile was a hard top and hard doors, so I figured it was a good place to start. I spent the first few years moving it towards running condition, including:
*new suspension
*new seats & dash with new gauges (no original jeep gauges left)
*removed fuel tank and had it cleaned and the inside recoated
*new radiator
*rebuilt crate motor from mexico (4-151)
*new radiator
*new electric fan
*rebuilt carb (purchased, not self-rebuilt)
*new distributor cap/rotor/wires/plugs

at this point, it ran decently but was still not registered so I didn't drive it. The last (and longest) trip was about 15 miles from a shop to my home, and it ran fine. There it sat (garaged) for a good 6-7 years until I realized that I really want to drive this jeep every day. So I pulled it out, replaced the battery and tried to start it, but was getting no fuel to the carb. Five fuel pumps later, and it fired right up. At the same time, I also added an inline filter between the fuel pump and the carb. This engine seemed to only come with a filter inside the tank and one inside the carb inlet. I figured one more wouldn't hurt.

yay! Off for a test drive around the neighborhood. All is well for about 1/4 mile, then I feel it running rougher. Uhoh, tried to make it back home, but the first small hill I came to was a no go. It just felt as if it was getting no gas and died. I tried to restart, and I could feel it almost catching but not quite. It's got another issue in that after about 5 attempts to start, the starter stops responding until it cools down, so I got a tow strap and dragged it back home.

this weekend, i'm going to get a new starter and try to diagnose it. I have a decent working knowledge of auto repair, but I would love to hear suggestions from anyone who's more familiar with jeeps.

i think that because it ran fine when I parked it, it's unlikely to be a problem with timing.
the fact that it ran for a bit could mean it's only a problem when the engine warms up.
could be old fuel? The exhaust did smell really bad.
could the old fuel have caused a problem inside the carb? Sticking floats, etc? If so, why did it run better before it warmed up?

thanks in advance for any help!
Mister.wombat

WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY ARE YOU IN?

DON'T BUY NOTHING YET.I MAY CAN HELP YOU IN THE FUNDAGE SAVING DEPT!

I'LL RESPOND IN AN HOUR OR SO, MAMA GOT ME DOIN' CHORES RIGHT NOW!

Pacific NW.

Except for the starter, i'm not buying anything yet; in fact, I won't even look at it until saturday. I'm still in the diagnostic phase.

Mister.wombat
I'M YOUR GUY.I HOPE!

SHE WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE YET. HAD TO SNEAK IN HERE TO WRITE THIS!

BACK REAL SOON!

I'LL HELP YOU NO PROBLEM!

MY VIEWS ON STUFF, MAY NOT BE TO YOUR LIKING, BUT WE WILL GET YOU GOING!

I'LL GO AHEAD AND GET IT OUT OF THE WAY

THE ELECTRIC FAN........SOMETHING ELSE TO BREAKDOWN!......MAYBE NOT REALIZED....MESS UP MOTOR

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.........I HOPE YOU RETAINED THE MECHANICAL PUMP.....SIMPLE, RELIABLE, STOPS WHEN THE ENGINE DOES, CHEAP, PROVIDES MORE THAN ENOUGH FUEL....EVEN FOR A 304 !

WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR REFERENCES TO WORK ON YOUR JEEP?

MANY TIMES, I MIGHT LINK YOU TO ANOTHER POST I ANSWERED.....SAVES ME A LOT OF HUNTING AND PECKING!

RIGHT NOWWE NEED TO KNOW WHETHER YOUR ISSUE IS FUEL OR IGNITION

WHEN IT CUTS OFF...... IMMEDIATELY SQUIRTING A SHOT OF STATER FLUID DOWN THE CARB --- OR FOR "QUANTITY SAKE".......A TEASPOON FULL OF GAS DOWN THE CARB ----QUICKLY TRY TO START IT............WHAT HAPPENS?

...............OR IMMEDIATELY CHECK FOR SPARK WHEN IT DIES.....I LIKE ONE OF THESE!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_electrical-tester--in-line-spark-plug-checker-dorman--conduct-tite_22144233-p?searchTerm=spark+tester

I EVEN KEEP 2 OF 'EM ON BOARD.....JUST TO INSURE THE BULB IS NOT BURNED OUT, ON THE OTHER...........I LIKE "DEFAULT OPTIONS!"

I KEEP LOTS OF STUFF ON BOARD!......TAKES A LOT TO "STRAND MY BABIES"

SO I WANT YOU TO TELL ME IF YOU ARE SET UP "EXACTLY" LIKE THIS.......THE MINI GAUGE AND REGULATOR ARE OPTIONAL...............THE REST OF IT AIN'T !!!....SEE MY 1ST 2 PICS

I WILL MOSTLY USE MY 258 AS A "DEMONSTRATOR".......YOU WILL HAVE TO "ADAPT YOUR THINKING" TO YOUR ENGINE...........TUNING IS TUNING IS TUNING......PRETTY MUCH THE SAME PROCESS, NO MATTER WHICH ENGINE YOU HAVE!

HOOD BACK ON THE WINDSHIELD FRAME---OUTSIDE IN THE LIGHT--CAN YOU SEND ME A "LEFT SIDE" - "RIGHT SIDE" AND A STAND ON THE BUMPER TOP VIEW OF YOUR ENGINE WITH THE BREATHER REMOVED??? ........ONE OF YOUR TIMING MARKS?........OF COURSE, ONE OF YOUR BABY TOO!

ARE YOU CHECKED FOR EMISSIONS....IF SO, WHAT EXACTLY FOR OLDER STUFF?.....ARE YOU JUST EXEMPT?

IS YOUR WIRING MOSTLY ORIGINAL....ESPECIALLY IGNITION RELATED?

IS YOUR DISTRIBUTOR AND COIL LIKE WHAT CAME WITH IT ORIGINALLY ?

IF YOU CLICK ON MY AVATAR, YOU'LL FIND A LITTLE MORE INFO

I'VE MADE "MR. JEEP" AND "WILLY" A LITTLE MORE USER FRIENDLY, HERE AND THERE. ON MR. JEEP, MY HOLLEY 390, 4 BBL ON THE "OFFY" INTAKE........IF FOR EFFICIENCY, I GET ABOUT 18 MPGs WITH IT PROPERLY JETTED AND TUNED, AND GET REALLY GOOD POWER, IF I NEED IT TOO!

YOUR TURN........SOME OF MY CJ ANSWERS ARE OVER 100 RESPONSES LONG......I'M GAME, THIS IS "MY THING"

GIMME SOME ANSWERS---I'LL TRY TO MOVE ON THRU VACUUM LEAK STUFF, THEN INTO TIMING AND TUNING...AS WELL AS "CHECKING" TIMING STUFF THAT IS TAKEN FOR GRANTED

THE ELECTRIC FAN. SOMETHING ELSE TO BREAKDOWN. MAYBE NOT REALIZED. MESS UP MOTOR

good point, but I couldn't find a fan shroud and I wanted to get it going. I'll have to search salvage for a clutch + fan + shroud.

I'M NOT SURE ABOUT YOUR FUEL SYSTEM.I HOPE YOU RETAINED THE MECHANICAL PUMP. SIMPLE, RELIABLE, STOPS WHEN THE ENGINE DOES, CHEAP, PROVIDES MORE THAN ENOUGH FUEL. EVEN FOR A 304 !

Yes, I replaced it with another mechanical pump. It just took my 5 tries for the local parts shop to get me one that fit.

I have a hayes and a chilton manual.

WHEN IT CUTS OFF. IMMEDIATELY SQUIRTING A SHOT OF STATER FLUID DOWN THE CARB --- OR FOR "QUANTITY SAKE".A TEASPOON FULL OF GAS DOWN THE CARB ----QUICKLY TRY TO START IT. WHAT HAPPENS?

. OR IMMEDIATELY CHECK FOR SPARK WHEN IT DIES.I LIKE ONE OF THESE!

I'll let you know this weekend.

SO I WANT YOU TO TELL ME IF YOU ARE SET UP "EXACTLY" LIKE THIS. THE MINI GAUGE AND REGULATOR ARE OPTIONAL. THE REST OF IT AIN'T. SEE MY 1ST 2 PICS

well, according to my manuals, the dual output filter was not installed on the 4 cyl models, so I don't have that. Actually, there was no external in-line filter at all until I added one.

HOOD BACK ON THE WINDSHIELD FRAME---OUTSIDE IN THE LIGHT--CAN YOU SEND ME A "LEFT SIDE" - "RIGHT SIDE" AND A STAND ON THE BUMPER TOP VIEW OF YOUR ENGINE WITH THE BREATHER REMOVED?. ONE OF YOUR TIMING MARKS. OF COURSE, ONE OF YOUR BABY TOO!

I'll try to get that tomorrow morning.

ARE YOU CHECKED FOR EMISSIONS. IF SO, WHAT EXACTLY FOR OLDER STUFF. ARE YOU JUST EXEMPT?

From the WA DOL: "Vehicles between five and twenty-five years old require testing every other year. " So I should be clear.

IS YOUR WIRING MOSTLY ORIGINAL. ESPECIALLY IGNITION RELATED?

Yes.

IS YOUR DISTRIBUTOR AND COIL LIKE WHAT CAME WITH IT ORIGINALLY?

Yes.
_______________________
*wish I had a 258; seems like it would be about the perfect size for the CJ.

Mister.wombat
"THE STARTER"

I KNOW YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE THE STORE I HAVE IN MY AREA

YOU DO HAVE "O'REILLY'S"---THIS SORTA THING MAY WORK FOR YOU TOO, MAYBE NOT TO THE EXTENT "ADVANCE AUTO PARTS" SAVES ME LOTS OF $$$...BUR SAVING IS SAVING, RIGHT?

IN THIS LINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE THIS SORTA THING WORK.....IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE HOMEWORK, BUT IT'S WORTH IT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

I HAVE A FEW OTHER TRICKS WHEN ORDERING A PART FROM A COMPANY.....FOR INSTANCE, I WANTED 2 FUEL PUMPS FOR "WILLY", ONE TO BE A SPARE. JUST SORTA SURFING A COUPLE OF SITES, I FOUND THAT "OMIX-ADA" MADE THE PUMP I WANTED (WITH THE GLASS FUEL BOWL) AND I GOT THE PART NUMBER FROM A POPULAR JEEP STORE.....THIS STORE WANTED $80+ FOR IT!

I WENT TO "SHOPZILLA.COM" AND INSTALLED THE NUMBER IN THEIR SEARCH BOX (DESCRIPTIONS WORK TOO).....IT'LL PULL UP MEGA RESULTS----YOU CAN SEARCH "HIGH TO LOW"---"BEST MATCH"---"LOW TO HIGH"...........AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE YOU CAN INCREASE THE # OF RESULTS PER PAGE TO "80"..........THIS MAKES SORTING OUT THE TRASH EZer!.....SKIPPING PAGES, WILL SOMETIMES GET YOU INTO A CLOSE PRICE RANGE

I FOUND THE EXACT SAME PUMP AT "CSE OFFROAD" (NY) FOR $21 !!!.........I HAVE 2 NOW!

SO I WENT AHEAD AND GOT YOU STARTED WITH THIS LINK

https://http://www.google.com/search?q=promo+codes+for+o'reilly+auto+parts&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS436US436&aq=0&oq=PROMO+CODES+FOR+OREILLY+&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3.17791j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I GET ALL MOTIVATED WHEN I CAN AID A CJ----CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR PICS, AND TEST RESULTS!

I'M IN SC, BEEN UP THERE TO FT.LEWIS SEVERAL TIMES, TRAINING WITH 2ND BATTALION, IN THE '80s, I WAS IN 1ST RANGER BATTALION IN SAVANNAH, GA.......HERE'S A FEW SHOTS OF MY MAN CAVE

YOU ARE RIGHT----MY 1ST HAD A 304 AND I'VE HAD 5--258s SINCE THEN........THE 258 IS THE BEST MATCHED POWER PLANT IN MY OPINION

I HAVE MANY MANUALS---THE BEST BEING THE PAPER 1979 AMC JEEP FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL---A LOT OF IT APPLIES TO OTHER YEARS----ANOTHER PIC OF MAYBE 1/2 OF MINE FOR JEEPS

THESE OTHERS, I HAVE TWO ARMY BUDDIES WHO ARE BOY SCOUT MASTERS, UP IN THE MOUNTAINS, I'M INVITED TO HELP OUT SOMETIMES........I TAKE MY "NELSOBAGO" TO CAMP OUT OF

Pics!

Mister.wombat
One more of the charcoal can.

Mister.wombat
Mister. Wombat. VERY GOOD!

NOW LET'S TAKE THAT PESKY BREATHER OFF AND GET A COUPLE MORE!

ANY TEST RESULTS. WHEN IT'S DEAD?

THIS IS ONE THAT'S BEING BUILT BY A FELLER NAMED TOMMY.360. WAY TOO MUCH MOTOR!

More pictures incoming.
No test results yet - stay tuned for Saturday.

Mister.wombat
Page 1 of 3