WHERE DO I START LOOKING FOR AN ELECTRICAL SHORT?

1981 Ford F-100 • 130,000 miles

A couple of weeks ago, we were FINALLY able to pass emissions for our F-100. Since then, however, our headlights & dashlights started going out. On my boyfriend's way to work, one of the 20amp fuses caught fire, fell to the floor board, then melted. He had a "friend", who is supposedly a master mechanic, look at it, but only made the situation worse. We do have headlights now & occasional dashlights, but now we have no lights to the tach, no radio, & no heater. Although, the radio & heater are "luxuries" here in Arizona, I'm afraid if not properly tended to, this short could cause even bigger problems, or worse, the loss of our only transportation. We've asked a few shops nearby for an approximate price range on getting it fixed & the general quote has been $100/hr not including parts. Although, I'm sure their skills in this matter are worth that, we are on an EXTREMELY fixed income & no WAY can we afford those prices. I do have SOME knowledge of electrical, but a point the right direction would be MORE than greatly appreciated. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!

Tanya Worthen
Teetans

Hook up an ammeter inline with battery positive terminal cable disconnected do you have a reading of more than 30milliamps? If so you have a short somewhere, start removing fuses the one that drops the reading is the trouble circuit-Be advised it not an easy task to find a short circuit

At this point we will need to know what this fuse is for. Buy a test light and check the voltage on both sides of the fuses for power with the key on.U will need to start here

Cadieman
LETS HEAR ABOUT THE FUSE FIRE!

WHY DON'T YOU TAKE A REALLY NICE, IN FOCUS PIC OF THE FUSE BLOCK---MAYBE TWO PICS, ONE WITH A PENCIL POINT TO THE RECEPTACLE THAT THE "FLAMING FUSE" FELL OUT OF.

ALSO RESPOND BACK WITH ANY WIRING MODIFICATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE. SUCH AS FOG LIGHTS, "SUPER-DOOPER, LOOK AT MY BRIGHT BLUE LIGHTS"--HORNS--GISMOS--ETC

ANY OUT OF THE ORDINARY THINGS HAPPEN PRIOR?

ANY KINDA NOISES FROM THE ACTUAL LIGHT SWITCH WHEN ISSUE IS OCCURRING?