ENGINE BOG'S DOWN IN THIRD AND FORTH

1979 Jeep CJ7 • 68,000 miles

I have a six cylinder 258ci resent tune up plugs, cap, rotor, wires bought a refurbished carb just installed. All vacuum lines hooked up. Timing good just past smog as a cal vehicle. I mean just past had to get catalytic converters real hot to pass. It was having a problem idling at times and when it idled good it would bog out in the higher gears thats when I changed the carb and now it idles good all the time just cuts out in high gears mostly at full throttle. Whats left? Oh yea the pulley had just came off the new smog pump but it was acting up before that
Johnny56

ARE YOU IN CA?

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS WHEREVER YOU ARE FOR A 33 YEAR OLD VEHICLE?

RIGHT NOW I'M GUESSING YOU HAVE VACUUM PROBLEMS--HOSES/ INTAKE TO HEAD/ OR CARB TO INTAKE

OTHER POSSIBILITIES ARE TIMING IS OFF/ CARB NOT ADJUSTED CORRECTLY

I CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT KINDA STUFF

DO YOU HAVE A REGULAR OLD CARTER BBD?---WHO REFURBISHED IT? ARE YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE ON FIXIN' STUFF?

THE REASON I WAS ASKING ABOUT YOUR REQUIREMENTS IS THAT SOME AREAS SORTA LET THE OLDER VEHICLES BY ON SOME OR ALL OF THE EMISSIONS TESTING, EVEN NO "CAT" IS ACCEPTABLE SOMETIMES IN SOME PLACES

ELIMINATING THE "CRAP" WOULD SURELY HELP YOUR RIG TO RUN BETTER

DO YOU HAVE TOOLS--A REPAIR MANUAL--A DWELL/TACH AND A TIMING LIGHT?

WHAT SORTA MODS OR CRAP REMOVAL HAS BEEN DONE OVER THE YEARS?

BELOW IS MY '77 CJ 5 (MR. JEEP) HE NOW HAS A HOLLEY 4 BARREL AND INTAKE. NOTE: THERE IS NO CRAP!

EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY MUCH STOCK, OTHER THAN A FEW "USER FRIENDLY" MODS I DID TO MAKE THE STOCK STUFF BETTER

THE OTHER PIC IS THE FUEL SYSTEM---THE FUEL FILTER--LINE FROM PUMP--LINE TO THE CARB---LINE TO THE RETURN TO TANK IS WHAT I WANNA KNOW ABOUT YOURS

FORGET THE REGULATOR AND GAUGE ON MINE---IS YOURS ROUTED LIKE THIS?

NEXT TO LAST PIC IS A VACUUM GAUGE---DO YOU HAVE ONE?

BEAR WITH ME.I EXPLAIN STUFF IN "RURAL ROUTE LINGO". EVERY JEEP I DEAL WITH IS DIFFERENT IN SOME WAY OR ANOTHER---MISSING STUFF/ STUFF DONE INCORRECTLY/ ETC

THE GOOD THING ABOUT YOURS RIGHT NOW, IS THAT IT IS RUNNING AND WE DON'T HAVE TO RUN THRU ALL OF THAT!

MANY TIMES I WILL LINK YOU TO A SPECIFIC PORTION OF ANOTHER POST I HAVE ANSWERED.I HUNT AN PECK RATHER SLOWLY, LINKING SAVES ME TIME! EXPEDITES YOUR REPAIR

I HOPE YOU HAVE READ SOME OF MY STUFF AND ARE FAMILIAR WITH MY STYLE

DO YOU WHOLE HEARTILY LOVE YOUR JEEP?

STILL HERE?