MY FUSABLE LINK AT THE STARTER SHOWS IT IS GROUNDED UP STREAM, EVEN WITH THE STARTER DISCONNECTED?

1978 Chevrolet Van • 95,000 miles

I can not get power on van. When I connect pos. Cable to battery, which has 12 volts, it rapidly drains down to 4 or 5 volts. I know the fusable link wires are shorted, but where? The Haynes book wiring diagrams are not clear where the wires go.
Fred fuentes

The fuse link at starter is a 6 inch wires that hooks to the starter seloniod pull on the wires if 1 is blown it will fall apart.

Cadieman
I attatched a wire to the link to pull it thru the metal protective tube and I read thru the link with a multi-meter. The fusable link is fine. The ground is up stream from the starter. I need to know where the wires go.

Fred fuentes
Charge and load test the battery. Besure your cables are clean and tight. Start here. What is the voltage problem exacty. Battery goes dead overnite or just wont start?

Cadieman
I forgot to tell you, I have the pos. Cable from the battery disconnected and also have the ign, switch disconnected. When I connect a multi-meter to the fusable link terminal I am reading to ground. I think I have corrosion somewhere. Where do the wires go from the fusable link go? I have a Haynes manual but the wiring diagram is not clear. Thanks, Fred

Fred fuentes
Hook everthing up and diconnect the neg. Battery cable. Hook a test light or meter from the cable to the battery if their is a draw killing the battery. If ite more than 50 ma or the test light is bright u have a draw. Start here

Cadieman
I did as you asked. I hooked up everything and disconnected the neg. Cable. I am not sure how to check the voltage draw on the battery. I checked the battery voltage for about ten minutes. It held ten volts all this time. I hooked up the neg. Cable and the battery voltage dropped to four volts at once. I will try to follow the orange and brown wires from the fusable link to see where they go.

Fred fuentes
Hook the meter leds hook 1 to the neg. Cable and 1 to the neg. Terminal on the battery. Put it on milli amp scale then come back with a reading.

Cadieman
Will do, but I do not think my problem can be solved until I find out why the fusable link terminal is showing ground with a muli-meter. Even with another car jumpered to the battery, I do not get any voltage to my van?

Fred fuentes
I did as requested. Put muli-meter between battery neg. Terminal and battery neg. Cable. I used MA 50 scale. When I first touched the leads I read 30, I kept the leads touching and after about two or three minutes, the reading was 200. In a earlier post, after I hooked up the pos. Cable to the battery, I went from 11 volts to about 3 volts in a minute or so. I have a short somewhere up stream of the fusable link. Thanks, for your help.

Fred fuentes
Thanks, CJ, I will try some of these tips, but I still can not get the van to accept any DC pwr. From the battery or a jumper cable?

Fred fuentes