WHY IS IT HARD TO START WHEN COLD?

1978 Cadillac Deville • 106,000 miles

I inherited a big 78 Caddy that sat in a car port for six months unused. The engine is a 7 litre with a 4 bbl carb. 106,000 miles

I put in platinum spark plugs (heard mixed reviews about that) recommended by auto zone. Gapped the plugs as suggested.

I installed new plug wires.

A mechanic rebuilt the distributor area for me.

I have to crank the pedel about six-10 times, sometimes wait a minute before she cranks. Once she is warm, she starts right up. Even after 6 hours she will crank instantly. It is when it sits over night it is a pain.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you!
Caddydaddy78

Check the carb fuel float level and look out for leaks. If there are leaks, the float chamber would be dry and that would require exensive cranking time before it fires up.
Check the choke condition as well.

Thank you for the advice. That makes sense to me. I will find someone to help with this since I do not know how to do it, and do not want to pay $120 an hour at a firestone.

Caddydaddy78
[quote]do not want to pay $120 an hour at a firestone.[/Quote]

I doubt they will either and they certainly aren't worth $120hr there.

Wrenchtech