CJ-5 HAS NO SPARK. WHAT CAN IT BE?

1977 Jeep CJ5 • 85,000 miles

Replaced the ignition coil, rotor, distributor cap, and spark plug wires. Still no spark. Any ideas?
Christmanbk

Just to add. The motor will turn over but will not fire. I know that there is fuel going to the carb.

Christmanbk
If its not a point contact distributor-check the distributor pick-up coil and the ICM

BEEN WAITIN' ON YOU FELLER!

STILL GOT 2 OR 3 MORE FACTORS THAT MIGHT PLAY IN

1ST THING I WANT YOU TO DO IS MEASURE THE VOLTAGE TO THE POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL WITH THE "KEY ON", WITH A DIGITAL VOLTMETER

IF YOU AIN'T GOT ONE, YOU CAN GET SOMETHING "DECENT" FROM THE AUTO PARTS STORE FOR LESS THAN $20

YOU ARE GONNA NEED IT LATER ANYWAY---IF YOU STICK WITH ME, WE WILL GET YOUR RIG IN TIP-TOP CONDITION. NOT JUST RUNNING!

I'M GONNA SEND YOU A HOMEMADE PIC ON WHAT TO DO

THEN I'M GONNA END THIS ANSWER AND START ANOTHER BELOW THIS ONE, ANSWER IN BETWEEN IF YOU WANT TO. CJs ARE MY THING!

"MR. JEEP" IS THE SAME YEAR AS YOURS HAS A 258 6 CYL. W/ 4 BBL HOLLEY CARB AND MANY USER FRIENDLY MODIFICATIONS."WILLY" IS MUCH OLDER, 1946, L-134 FLATHEAD 4 CYL. HES GOT USER FRIENDLY MODS TOO

I WANT TO KNOW THE FOLLOWING SO THAT I MIGHT ANSWER YOU BETTER

1) DO YOU REALLY, FULLY, NO HOLDS BARRED, LOVE YOUR JEEP?

2) WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE?

3) HAS MANY CHANGES HAPPENED UNDER THE HOOD, SINCE IT WAS NEW?

4) CAN YOU SEND PICS OF YOUR JEEP TO INCLUDE, LEFT, RIGHT, FRONT OF YOUR ENGINE. WHERE THE VIEW OF THE ENGINE FILLS THE WHOLE PIC FROM SIDE TO SIDE (LAY YOUR HOOD BACK ON YOUR WINDSHIELD) AND TAKE YOUR PICS MORE FROM AN ABOVE ANGLE SO I CAN SEE MOST OF IT.

5) LIST ANY OTHER PROBLEMS OR ISSUES YOU HAVE OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR WANT TO REPAIR OR BETTER ON YOUR JEEP. (NOT JACKING IT UP HIGH, OR PUTTING A JET ENGINE IN IT!)

WE CAN DO IT ALL ON THIS ONE THREAD

YES, I'M EXCITED! CJs ARE BUILT SO WELL, I DON'T SEE THEM OFTEN ON HERE. THEY ARE THE SOLE REASON, I STARTED ANSWERING HERE!

YOUR TURN--I'M WRITING ANOTHER NOW

Well heres the deal. First of all I appreciate your enthusiasm. I love my CJ. The situation is that I am in the Marine Corps and I left the Jeep with my brother in South Carolina. He has been trying to get it running. First he said there was no spark. I told him to replace the coil, rotor, cap, and wires. He did that tonight and now we have spark. The engine will turn over but it will not start. I know you need fuel, air, spark to get it running. He sprayed starting fluid into the carburetor and still didn't start. He took the hose off to the carburetor and said it was getting fuel. Any suggestions as I would be passing them on to him. He isn't the most mechanically inclined so dummying it down would be best.

Christmanbk
Also to add as I forgot. It has a 258 inline 6 with a Carter BBD Carb. The engine was a crate motor that I put in 4 years ago. It has less than 1000 miles on motor. It has been running in the past well. My brother doesn't drive it often and it may have been sitting for a while without running.

Christmanbk
GREAT!

I'M AT GRID.S.C. GREENWOOD---HOW FAR IS YOUR RIG FROM ME?

I'M PRESENTLY STILL WRITING THE OTHER ANSWER ON ANOTHER TAB. THIS MIGHT GO EZ!

IS HE FOLLOWING THIS POST? OR ARE YOU DOING SOME SORT OF COMMO RELAY?

I WILL SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE HERE AT THIS SITE, ANY PERSONAL INFO IS OPSEC (OPERATIONAL SECURITY) SUCH AS EMAIL ADDRESS/ HIS OR YOUR NUMBERS. WHAT EVER!

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE JARHEAD THING!---I'M AN AIRBORNE RANGER WAS STATIONED IN SAVANNAH, GA FOR FOUR YEARS ('83-'87) I HAVE SHOT THE "KD COURSE" NINE TIMES, AT YOUR FAVORITE PLACE 40 MILES NORTH OF THAT LOCATION.247 WAS MY WORST SCORE

PIC IS OF MY "MAN CAVE" AT CIVILIAN HQ NOWME IN '82 W/ 1ST '77 JEEP W/304ME AND 2ND JEEP '79 WW/ 258. THE 1ST TWO OF THE TOTAL OF SEVEN. ALL HAVE BEEN MY PRIMARY TRANSPORTATION SINCE I STARTED DRIVING IN '81

GO TO TOP OF THIS PAGE, CLICK ON YOUR NAME, LOOK FOR MESSAGES. ONE WILL COME SOON

My rig is in Myrtle Beach. Its about 4 hours east of you. I will be attempting to relay back to him over the phone. I am currently stationed in California or I would go rescue my baby. I have been in for twelve years. I left the jeep with him when I got orders to Hawaii in 08 and dind't ship it over. I just got here and now i'm trying to revive it. Thanks again for all your help.

Christmanbk
ROGER

MAY BE ABLE TO HOOK UP WITH HIM DIRECT--IF THAT'S COOL WITH "HIGHER" MAY AVOID CONFUSION!

WILL COMMO WITH EITHER, AS THE ASSAULT CONTINUES ALONG

I KNOW YOU ARE IN CALIFORNIA (FOR NOW. FOREVER?), A LAND OF MANY STRANGE PRACTICES. AND INTERESTING PEOPLE

FIND OUT IF YOUR RIG MUST MEET CA EMISSIONS, OR IS IT "WAIVERED IN" VIA YOUR HOME OF RECORD (OR IS CA YOUR HOME OF RECORD)?

YOU HAVE LAP BELTS---IS THAT AN ISSUE?

THEY ARE STRICT

YOUR RIG IS AS OLD AS MINE---DURING SOME READING, I ONCE SAW THAT THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER WAS NOT INSTALLED ON CJs TILL '79 (NOT SET IN STONE)

WILL THEY REQUIRE ONE?

WILL THEY REQUIRE EVERYTHING BE BACK TO SHOWROOM, UNDER THE HOOD (49 STATE)?

OR WILL THEY REQUIRE UP-GRADE TO SPECS OF 1977 CALIFORNIA MODEL?

OR DANGED WORSE?

YOUR BABY IS 35 YEARS OLD. IN S.C.. WHERE WE FIX THINGS THE WAY THEY OUGHTTA BE. NOT ALWAYS BY THE BOOK

'CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW, THEY DON'T TEST US HERE (SO FAR) SO STUFF MAY HAVE HAPPENED OVER THE YEARS!

THOUGHT MAYBE YOU MIGHT PONDER ON THIS, BEFORE YOU GET IT OUT THERE AND THEY WANT YOU SPEND $3000 TO GET IT "ROADWORTHY" FOR THEIR ROADS

WHATEVER YOUR RESULTS ARE---I CAN HELP THERE TOO---THANK GOODNESS IT'S NOT A 1980 OR NEWER, MEGA EMISSIONS ON THEM FROM THE FACTORY

I HAVE MANY MANUALS AND DIAGRAMS, A NEW CAMERA, AND A SCANNER! I'M NOT SCARED TO USE 'EM!

1ST THINGS 1ST

HERE'S THINGS TO LOOK AT

EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY HAVE NOT HAD SPARK BEFORE YOU CHANGED THE COILDID THE PARTS STORE FELLER INSURE YOU GAVE YOU THE RIGHT COIL,"PRESTOLITE IGNITIONS ('76-'78) USE A DIFFERENT COIL THAN A MOTORCRAFT IGNITION ('79-'86) IF NOT, CALL THEM BACK AND GIVE THE PART NUMBER TO THEM AND VERIFY--OR MAYBE WE COULD LOOK IT UP ON THEIR SITE (PART NUMBER, FROM WHERE?)......THIS IS THE REASON: IF YOU HAVE THE WRONG ONE, IT WILL COMPLICATE THIS PROCESS EVEN MORE! THE ONE BELOW IS FOR A '77 W/ PRESTOLITE

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Coil/1977-Jeep-CJ5/_/N-in9a2Z9n80r?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=coil&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=111849_0_6007_

NOW BACK TO THE ACTUAL BEGINNING PROBLEM----NO SPARK!

THERE'S USUALLY 3 COMMON POSSIBILITIES (THE ARE OTHER UNCOMMON ONES TOO)----IF YOU HAVE PRESTOLITE IGNITION, "COMMON-VERY COMMON"

1) BAD MODULE (PRESTOLITE OR MOTORCRAFT)---LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU HOW TO "HANDLE" GETTING A NEW ONE---MINE WENT BAD AT LEAST 5 TIMES!

SEE MY ANSWER FEB 17 (#4 TOWARDS BOTTOM) AT THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1984-jeep-cherokee-cj7

THIS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1977-Jeep-CJ5/Ignition-Control-Module/_/N-in9a2Z9n80t?filterByKeyWord=ignition+module&fromString=search

2) IF YOU HAVE A PRESTOLITE DISTRIBUTOR (NORMALLY ON '76 -'78) IT IS NOT DESIGNED WELL, AND WAS REPLACED W/ A MOTORCRAFT SYSTEM LATER IN 1979

THINGS THAT GO WRONG

REMEMBER FROM ABOVE--THE MODULE IS ALREADY A PROBLEM IN THE SYSTEM

A) THE WIRES INTO IT ARE SOLID COPPER WIRES AND A SMALL GAUGE. IF THEY ARE ALLOWED TO MOVE/ BOUNCE AROUND THEY WILL EZily BREAK.

B) THE "PICKUP" INSIDE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAN GO BAD ALSO

THERE'S ONLY 2 WIRES, A CONTINUITY TEST WILL VERIFY WHETHER A & B ARE STILL INTACT AND GOOD TO GO......SEE 1ST 3 PICS AT THE BOTTOM (PRESTOLITE DISTRIBUTOR ONLY HAS 2 WIRES, MOTORCRAFT HAS 3, ONE IS A GROUND)

+++++++FROM HERE DOWN ARE PROBLEMS, BUT THE JEEP WILL HAVE SPARK AND WILL RUN

C) THE VACUUM ADVANCE "AIR BLADDER" (FOR LACK OF CORRECT NAME) THAT IS UNDER TH PLASTIC FRONT WHERE THE VACUUM LINE CONNECTS ON WILL DEVELOP CRACKS AND HOLES (INTERNAL) THIS RESULTS IN...A VACUUM LEAK, AND NO ADVANCE VIA VACUUM (STILL RUNS, NO ECONOMY)

D) THE VACUUM ADVANCE PICKUP ASSEMBLY GETS WORN AND WILL NOT SLIDE WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ACTUATED

E) INSIDE THE BODY, IS THE "MECHANICAL ADVANCE" I HAVE HAD THE SPRINGS BREAK MULTIPLE TIMES ON THE WEIGHTS AND THEY STAY "THROWN OUT". THIS WILL ADVANCE THE TIMING, IT WILL STILL RUN AND SOUND GOOD AT IDLE. IF YOU HOOK UP YOUR TIMING GUN, YOU WILL BE FOOLED INTO THINKING YOUR TIMING IS OFF FROM WHAT YOU SET IT AT BEFORE---THE 1ST THING YOU WILL DO IS RESET THE TIMING......NOW IT IS RIGHT ON THE TIMING MARKS (LOOKS RIGHT!) BUT AS YOU GIVE IT GAS, IN EITHER SITUATION---IT WILL NOT ADVANCE (OR RETARD)......WHETHER YOU DON'T FIND THIS OR MIS-CORRECT IT BY RESETTING THE TIMING.......IT STILL RUNS, YOUR POWER AND "GET UP AND GO", AS WELL AS MPG SUFFER....YOU WILL NOTICE YOUR JEEP SUDDENLY HAD A CHANGE..........I CAN EXPLAIN HOW TO FIND A PROBLEM WITH EITHER ADVANCE USING THE TIMING LIGHT AS A TEST TOOL.

EVERY TIME I HAD ONE OF THESE PROBLEMS WITH THE PRESTOLITE SYSTEM, NOT ONLY WAS I PIZZED OFF, BUT THEY ALWAYS SEEMED TO HAPPEN AT THE WORST OF TIMES, AND I HAD TO LEARN ALL OF THIS BY TRIAL AND ERROR, AS I WENT, DOWN TIME WAS NOT GOOD, THIS JEEP IS MY PRIMARY RIDE.....I HOPE MY EXPERIENCES HELP YOU!

I FINALLY GOT SMART, I SWAPPED THE PRESTOLITE FOR A MOTORCRAFT SYSTEM.....MOTORCRAFT HAS STRANDED WIRES, THE MODULE IS MORE RELIABLE (EZ TO FIND THE SAME ONE AT AN AUTO SALVAGE YARD ON '80s FORD CARS...THE BLUE ONE, WHERE THE WIRES COME OUT), I HAVE NOT HAD A SPRING PROBLEM (YET), VACUUM ADVANCE IS RELIABLE

LUCKILY I HAVE A GOOD STANDING AT THE PARTS STORES. THE PREVIOUS PRESTO DISTs WERE THE SAME PRICE AS THE MOTORCRAFT, AND HAD A LIFETIME WARRANTY, I BOUGHT IT THERE....THEY SWAPPED ME EVEN

SAME WENT FOR THE MODULE

THIS IS THE COST OF A REMAN (PERFECTLY AS GOOD AS A NEW ONE) AND LOOK AT THE WARRANTY!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Distributor/1979-Jeep-CJ5/_/N-imcn1Z93xku?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=DISTRIBUTOR&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=768895_76774_0_

THIS IS THE MODULE THAT GOES WITH IT--LOOK AT THAT WARRANTY!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Control-Module/1979-Jeep-CJ5/_/N-imcn1Z9n80t?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=ignition+module&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=118422_300759_5526_

I KEEP A SPARE FUEL PUMP, COIL, AND MODULE IN MY JEEP....SINCE DOING SO I HAVE HAD NO NEED FOR THEM.....2 OTHER CJs ON THE ROADSIDE GOT GOING WITH THE FUEL PUMP AND MODULE, WHICH THEY PAID ME FOR, AND I REPLACED THEM

THE ONLY THINGS STILL NEEDED TO SWITCH OVER, IS A FEW WIRES W/ CONNECTORS OUT OF A '80s FORD, THE COIL CONNECTOR FROM AN 80s CAR OR TRUCK OUT OF THE AUTO SALVAGE YARD, SOME WIRE BUTT SPLICES, 1/2 WRENCH, TAPE MEASURE, LONG FLAT SCREWDRIVER.....DWELL/ TACH METER, AND A TIMING LIGHT!....LAST ITEMS, A "BALLAST RESISTOR",

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Accel-1-82-Ohm-resistance-value-ignition-ballast-resistor/_/N-25rh?itemIdentifier=253187&_requestid=295326

AND A COIL FOR A '79 CJ

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Coil/1979-Jeep-CJ5/_/N-imcn1Z9n80r?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=coil&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=111930_0_5526_

IF YOU DON'T WANNA SWAP OVER...........AND DETERMINE THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR IS BAD....IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, DISREGARD THIS, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THIS GO SMOOTH....LEAVE THE DISTRIBUTOR IN, DO NOT LOOSEN OR MOVE IT.

GO AHEAD AND GET THE REPLACEMENT PRESTOLITE DISTRIBUTOR, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE "CORE CHARGE" YET (ALWAYS KEEP ANY CORE, UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED THE SYSTEM IS FIXED)

THEN LET ME KNOW YOU ARE READY, I CAN HELP YOU GET IT INSTALLED THE QUICK EZ WAY......INSTEAD OF HAVING TO GO THRU THE "TOP DEAD CENTER" ON "COMPRESSION" STROKE WAY (THE HARD WAY)

KEEP ME POSTED, THESE ARE THE MOST LIKELY POSSIBILITIES, IF TESTING PROVES ALL IS GOOD, SO FAR, WE WILL DIG DEEPER

NEED TO KNOW VOLTAGE AT POSITIVE SIDE OF THE COIL, BEFORE YOU DO THE STUFF IN THIS STUFF, IN THIS ANSWER.......IF THESE IS NO VOLTAGE, WE MUST CHECK SOME OTHER STUFF.....REMEMBER GOOD BATTERY, WITH THE KEY "ON"

YOUR ANSWERS/ TEST RESULTS/ QUESTIONS----INPUT?

Here are the pictures of the coils. The one on the left is the one he pulled out. He took the one on the right he took back to the parts store and got one that has threaded connections like the one on the left.

Christmanbk