HOW DO I TROUBLE SHOOT AN ENGINE SKIP IN A ELDORADO 500

1976 Cadillac El Dorado • 120,000 miles

I replaced the timing chain and gears also the water pump. The car had the skip before this and still after. I also replaced the plugs, wires and rotor. It skips when the engine is cold or hot. Under the rocker covers was a lot of carbon particles which I cleaned out. Could a valve be sticking? The engine is a 500 with a 4 barrel carb. Thanks for any advice.
Earle

Did you replace the distributor cap and rotor? If not, did you inspect the cap for cracks?

I did replace the rotor and inspected the cap. I also checked for spark and continuity. I had thought it was a timing problem which is why I replaced the chain and gears. When piston 1 is tdc the timing mark lines up with the 0 on the scale but the rotor seems to be in the wrong place. When I put the timing light on it the mark is still at 0 but is supposed to be 6 degrees advanced. Is it possible I skipped a tooth when I reinstalled the distributor or timing gear and chain? Adjusting the distributor helps some but it still runs rough. Thanks

Earle
It sounds like you are a tooth off on the distributor. Line up the timing marks to TDC and the rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug wire on the distributor. It's really easy to be off one tooth.

Thank you.

Earle
Let me know what you find.