HOW DO I FIX A BROKEN REAR MAIN SEAL

1972 Dodge Dart • 165,000 miles

I have a 1972 dodge dart demon fastback coup, 318 v8 with a 2b carb, I had a buddy "attempt" to fix a broken rear main seal. But screwed it up, im not exactly sure what he did to mess it up, but I need help figuring out the best way to replace the seal, if you can help, please please let me know, pictures and tips would be great, thx
Papajohnslice

We dont' have much for that car, but if it's a rope seal go to an auto parts store and see if they have a puller for rope seals. It's also called a chinese bandit. You have to drop the oil pan then take the rear main cap off and put tool into seal and pull out also use tool to install the new one. That is on the upper on e only. The bottomone your beat it back in with a round object and make sure to cut them off even withblock/cap mating surface. Then apply a little silicone to that seal area when you put it back together. If they are rubber, then just drive the old oen out with a punch screwdriver til you can grab it. But use the silicone on install then retorque the cap. Retoraue cap to about 85ft. Lb. Install reverse order. If oil pan gasket not one piece put siliicone on corners.

Thanks for your help, its a rare car and not many people know how to work on it, ill try what you suggested and see how it turns out, the only thing im worried about is when my friend tried to fix it, he went through the oil pan, but somehow messed it up that way.

Papajohnslice
Sounds like there is more damage than you suspect. Due to what you have told me here, just do yourself a favor and pull the engine out and repair it like that. The reason being is if it's messed up to much the engine will already be out and can be taken to a pro like a rebuilder. Sounds like your friend didn't help you much at all except cost you more money.

Yeah thats what it sounds like im going to have to do, the engine has been freshly rebuilt, but im not exactly sure whether he messed anything up or not beside the rear main seal, but I personally rebuilt the engine so im not to worried about that, but I will probably have to pull the engine to fix the seal, thanks for your help

Papajohnslice