MY FRIEND HAS A , ITS HAVING TROUBLE STARTING AND RUNNING, WHAT COULD IT BE?

1970 Mercury Marquis • 200,000 miles

My friends got a 1970 Mercury marquis, its a 429 v8 with a 2b carb, it broke down on the road the other day, (fuel filter was bad) we replaced the filter easy enough. But it wouldnt start, I checked and found that the carborator was getting gas, and the spark plugs all spark, we got it to start for a few seconds using starter fluid, but it would idle down very quickly, the only way to keep it going for more then a few seconds was to continuously pump the gas, but it would die eventually, and when we got it to start (for the short time) it would blow out a ton of black smoke from the tail pipe, which eventually turned to white when the starter fluid went through it. We couldnt get it running long enough to test if it was the head gasket, but another thing is, while we tried to start it, vapors would not come out of the carb, but they would come out of the oil intake, I guess my question is, what could be wrong with the car?
Papajohnslice

The black smoke sounds like it's flooding. Dirt/rust coulda got into carb needle seat and letting it flood.

Fixitmr
A McGYVER KINDA WAY TO VERIFY IF THIS IS THE CASE (BASICALLY THE FLOAT IS WEDGED OR STUCK OPEN. FOR SOME REASON, TRASH, ETC)

WHEN FOOLING WITH FUEL STUFF, DO IT OUTSIDE, WELL AWAY FROM ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT! A WET TOWEL FOR MINOR FLAMING, AND A FIRE EXTINGUISHER FOR THAT BIGGER POSSIBILITY. AND YOUR WELL INFORMED BUDDY AS A BACK-UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING!

YES---I AM TRYING TO SCARE YOU! IT'S THE TIMES THAT YOU WERE NOT PREPARED THAT WILL MORE THAN SCARE YOU! SO BE SAFE. THIS SHOULD GO ROUTINE

FIND A RUBBER FUEL LINE JUST BEFORE THE FUEL ENTERS THE CARB

WITH A PAIR OF NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS, SQUEEZE THE RUBBER FUEL LINE SHUT."RUBBER". NOT A STEEL LINE!

CRANK THE ENGINE. IT SHOULD RUN, MIGHT BE A LITTLE ROUGH AT 1ST, THEN IT WILL SMOOTH OUT. EVENTUALLY IT WILL RUN ROUGH AGAIN AND DIE. RELEASE THE PLIERS FOR A FEW SECONDS (LETTING FUEL INTO THE CARB). SMOOTHS OUT AGAIN.

AFTER YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, YOU CAN ALLOW ENOUGH FUEL IN TO KEEP IT GOING (AS IF YOU WERE THE FLOAT, NEEDLE AND SEAT)

IF THIS IS THE CASE, YOU ARE GONNA HAVE TO DO SOME EXPLORATORY CARBURETOR SURGERY TO GET THE FLOAT/ NEEDLE AND SEAT ISSUE RESOLVED

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU FIND

I have tried that (in response to "CJ MEDEVAC") I have choked it and attempted to start with out pressing the throttle, nothing happened, then I was able to start it while hitting the throttle, it ran for a few seconds, then idled down until it died, and at that moment the smoke was white, a buddy of mine said that it might be the ignition coil, but im not exactly sure if thats it or not, and the carb is fairly new, and has been cleaned, so it doesn't seem like it would be the needle

Papajohnslice
WILL STARTER FLUID KEEP IT RUNNING IF YOU NURSE IN THE AMOUNTS?

Yeah, but only if I have the engine running at a high rpm, it wont run at an idling speed

Papajohnslice
Check to make sure there is fuel to the carb. If you can't get it to fire with the choke closed, it isn't getting fuel.

Ive checked at there is plenty of fuel going to the carb, I had my friend pump the gas and I could clearly see enough gas going into the carb, I think it might not be getting enough spark, but im not entirely sure

Papajohnslice
Check the spark. It should be a hot blue snapping spark. If it is orange, white, yellow. It is weak. Also, since it has so many miles on it, I recommend checking engine compression. It may be too low to run gas.

When I pulled the plugs out they were really hot, and they all sparked with a blue/white spark, and the compression is good on all cylinders from what I could tell, but im also curious as to why vapors come out of the oil intake. I know its bad, but I dont know why its happening

Papajohnslice
IS IGNITION SYSTEM POINTS OR ELECTRONIC. OR UPGRADED TO ELECTRONIC?

IF POINTS, HAVE YOU CHECKED TO SEE IF THEY ARE INSTALLED RIGHT. GAP. NOTHIN' WORN DOWN OR OFF?

IS IT RUNNING SMOOTH OR IS IT SKIPPING AND SUCH WHEN IT IS RUNNING?

Page 1 of 3