NEEDS A NEW ENGINE

1970 Ford F-150 • 200,000 miles

I do not own this car, I'm thinking about buying it from a guy and replacing the engine. He says it is a 1970 Ford F150 custom with a 302 engine. I haven't found anything about a Ford F150 in 1970, so I'm thinking it is either a Ford F100 or F250. I need to know, how much will an engine replacement cost in this truck? What engines can fit in it? Where can I find this engine?

This is what he says "1970 Ford F150 Custom, 302 engine, automatic, power steering, power brakes"

Also, would you happen to know if these were built with AC?
Johnlaclair

The 302 is a bigger version of the popular 289. A lot of them were made so if you live in an area where it's still common to find a 1970 model truck, you should be able to find an engine in a local salvage yard. If you have a choice, pick one that came from another truck. They usually have a different camshaft which determines the personality of the engine. Truck engines have camshafts that develop more low-end torque for pulling away from stop signs with a heavy load.

What's wrong with the engine in the truck now? You might be better off repairing or rebuilding it. That way you'll know what you have.