ENGINE REBUILD

1969 Ford Torino • V8 2WD Automatic •

I have a 1969 ford 429 bigblock, the heads are stuck to the block and all of the bolts are out. How do I get them apart?

Kingbutters

If you can't stick a round bar into one of the bolt holes and rock the head to the side, then you have missed a bolt or 2 somewhere. It shouldn't be that difficult to remove.

Wrenchtech
BIG rubber mallet ! Ya may have to put a pry bar into the intake or exhaust ports & pry up ! Another trick.A piece of wood (2x4) against the intake ports & whack with a hammer until loose. BECAREFUL
not to hit anything other than the piece of wood !

Ford Man in Michigan

Ford Man
Beating on a head with anything is not going to help the cause at all and likely do some damage. The head needs to be lifted, not hit. It's on dowels.

Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech. Not to start a ******* contest here. But just how many 429's have YOU pulled apart? Granted. It needs to be lifted up, but first it has be knocked loose from the block/pins before ANY lifting can be done !

Ford Man in Michigan

Ford Man
Since it's sitting on dowels, the only direction that impact of any kind would help would be straight up and that isn't a direction he has access to. As I stated in my first response a round bar in any of the head bolt holes will easily rock the head off the dowels without hitting it with anything that can cause damage. If it doesn't easily come loose that way, there are still bolts holding it on.

Wrenchtech
Ummmmm. The 429 motor of that era was a much higher compression engine than the junk (government motors/EPA junk) we drive today ! A round rod (what 3/8's same as a head bolt) to loosen a head that has most likely been on the block for how long? And you may be correct, there may still be bolts attached. Being that with the higher compression & a that head weighs around 70 or so pounds. I kinda doubt a 3/8's anything will rock a stuck (rusted in place) 70 or so pound head !
KingButters. Good Luck with your project !

Ford Man in Michigan

Ford Man
KingButters. I know a RISKY trick we used to do in the drag racing pits back in the 70's for motors that had extra tight dowel pin / head clearences. But if your not an experienced mechanic, I won't suggest it.

Ford Man in Michigan

Ford Man