HORN WORKS ONLY ON ONE SIDE

1967 Pontiac GTO • 118,000 miles

My steering wheel has two horn buttons one on each of the wheel's spokes. One side will sound the horn the other side will not. After taking apart the inoperable side, I can see that the button clearly makes contact but the horn will not sound. Do I need a new horn relay?... Or is the problem something else?

Redgoat67

Without knowing that steering wheel, I would assume that both horn buttons use the same relay. I would think that they tie in together before the relay, look into that.

ProAutoTech
I cleaned the contacts and the horn worked fine on both buttons on the steering wheel. That was a year ago. Today, the horn stopped working again. I get an audible click in the engine compartment near the firewall whenever I press the horn button but no horn sounds. Do I need a new relay? If so where is it located. Or should I try something else first?

Redgoat67
Run a wire from the battery to the horn. Does it sound?

Cadieman
Yes. It sounded when I ran a wire from the positive battery terminal to the horn.

Redgoat67
So now I removed the horn relay switch and there is no click when I push the horn button. Before I spend $50 for an exact GM replacement I would like to test this old one to verify that it is indeed defective. I have a multimeter. What steps do I follow to test it. I should note that this GM relay is called a "littlefuse" horn relay. Also I have photo image of my relay.

Redgoat67
Problem solved. All I had to do was remove some tarnish on the 45-year-old horn relay terminals. Works fine now.

Redgoat67
Good troubleshooting gl.

Cadieman