65 283 WONT START

1965 Chevrolet Impala • V8 Automatic •

I have placed a new coil in the car with no result as far as it starting. I seem to be getting more of a possible turn over when I pour gas in the carb. Which makes me think its a fuel delivery issue. I decided to disconnect the fuel line to the carb and there was no gas or even a drip of gas. Everything was dry so I followed the line to the fuel pump right at the bottom of the motor and saw that what I think is the line running from the pump to the tank wasnt even connected. I got a line and reconnected it, so now everything is connect and still nothing as far as it cranking. Do you think I should just get a fuel pump and see what I get?
Cevans

I had 1 of these way back when! I used the crap out of it, then sold it, then later bought it back! It was that good of a car! Finally gave it to my lil brother! So have you checked for spark? Maybe the timing is off? Check points/condenser setting? Was it running ok before this happened? Should start/run for a few by just pooring some gas in carb! New plugs might help if it's been sitting.

Fixitmr
The guy I got the car from said he started it a few times prior to me getting it. He started it by pouring fule in the carb. I have spark and I replaced the coil. The fuel line to the carb was empty so I think its the fuel pump. I think I will also invest in replacing the points. But since I have fire why would I still need to check points?

Cevans
Did you look at the plugs? I've cured more starting problems with new plugs then I can shake a stick at. While you have plugs out you might do compression tests. How does it sound when cranking? Nice and even rhythm with no variations? Does it try to start at all? Sputter or anything? It's not poopin thru the carb is it? What's your weather temps there?

Fixitmr
It sounds pretty smooth to me and the weather as of late has been cool to cold.

Cevans
Did you check for actual spark at the plugs? I mean if it's got spark, good dry plugs, and you put fuel in the carb it should make some kinda noises like it wants to start?

Fixitmr
I has good spark and I checked it at the plug. It wants to start but just wont turn over. I really and truly may not be pouring enough gas in there. I was told not to flood it and not sure what that means as far as the amount. If I guessed I have been only putting about a cup at the most in the carb.

Cevans
2 cups? I use at least 1 cup for a 4 cyl. Of course I then have to hold it to floor till she fries revs!

Fixitmr
2 cups? I use at least 1 cup for a 4 cyl. Of course I then have to hold it to floor till she fires revs!

Fixitmr