STARTER

1915 Ford F-150

Where is the starter located on a '98 Triton V8 4.6L?

Also, my symptoms are: lights, radio, windows work. Just a click when I turn the engine over.
Et1thornhill

Bottom of the engine between the engine and tranny.

Losone
Does this sound like a starter problem?

Et1thornhill
Either a bad connection from the battery to the starter, bad ground, bad starter relay or the starter.

Losone
Is there anything I (as a novice) can do to isolate down to one or two of those things?

Et1thornhill
Does the " Click" I hear mean the Starter Relay is working?

Et1thornhill
New battery, new starter, starter drags solenoid red hot 2000 f-150 4.2 v6

Kennyjon
You are definately on the right track with the batery cables. The hot cable runs from the battery to the stater. The negative cable runs from the battery to the engine block.
Check connections at the battery and other ends just by wiggling them with your hand. If they are not corroded, generally will be greenish/white build-up, and they seem to be tight and not move around if you try to move them around, then they are good. If they move tighten them up. If they are corroded, take them off and clean both sides of connection with baking soad/vinegar and maybe some really fine emery or wet/dry paper at least of 1000 or higher grit. Then if you can get some brake cleaner, spray a little on and wipe them clean with a rag or paper towel. Don't take the emery wet/dry paper to the battery posts as you will quickly make them smaller and have problems with the connection being tight. They will clean up with just a wipe down.
In regards to the last comment. Are you saying that the solenoid gets red hot from the starter just turning over? If so, it must be bad and needs replacement as it should not click if evrything is connected and providing 12 volts when you turn the key. It is probably failing and cocked a little sideways and that is why it makes the clicking noise and gets red hot when turned by the motor. Definately replace it if that is the case.

The starter is a new rebuilt. Starter drags and the solenoid got red hot. New battery, also.

Kennyjon
The only thing that could get the solenoid red hot besides friction would be really high resitance in the solenoid circuit, which is basically a wire, and that would probably melt the wire. I guess if the solenoid has to be jumped, it has nearly melted the wire and the high resitance does not provide it with the 12Volts it need, so it just has enough to click once and then it kicks out the gear.
Even if the solenoid is new, there has to be something wrong. How long do you keep the starter turning before it gets red hot?