02 2.5S

2002 Nissan Altima • 160,000 miles

I just had a head gasket job done and when they replaced everything they didn't time it right so my car does a little bit of a jump fells like its goin to stall out at red lights but doesnt, rough idle, along w. That I'm having white smoke out my exhaust. Smoke only comes after car is at runnin temp and gas pedal is pressed. Not clouds but its not normal I was told have the timing chain timed correct and the oil burrning issue is most likely valve seals or valve guides? Can someone please give me a 2nd opinion on this? And if the valve seals or guides is this a hard job to get done? And also is retiming the timing chain a hard job? Thanks in advance.
Staceash25

Take it back and have them re check it.

Oil burning from rings, not guides

the stalling may be a vacuum leak.

The smoke may still be a head issue like it being cracked.

The smoke isn't from the head. We replaced all of that. Its not oosing coolant. Just burning oil to fast. Smoke smells burnt. No overheating. It doesn't stall out it feels like its going to turn off at any moment but doesn't.
So the valve guides don't have anything to do w. Burning oil? What about the seals?

Staceash25
Not seals or guides, as I said, it is rings

did you put on a new head? If not it can still be the head.

Yes head and gasket thats why we ruled that out. So its my piston rings?

Staceash25
Thats correct

roy

Oh man! This is a huge job right?

Staceash25
Its rebuilding the motor all the way

roy

Oh no. Well thank you very much. I appreciate it a lot.

Staceash25
Staceash25,

Have the shop to RECHECK the timing chain alignment. When these engines are off by one tooth they will have less power and run rough. Once that problem is corrected (and only then) can you start to diagnose the smoke problem.
(it may sound a little crazy, but when the timing is off, everything is off)

Freemba
That's how I feel. Ima have the timing done then look at the smoke issue who knows it can all go hand in hand. Cars are weird. Well thanx for your input. I don't know when it'll be fixed but I will keep y'all updated. Thanks again.

Staceash25