01 IGNITION CYLINDER AND SWITCH BUSTED BY SOME DIRTBAGS=(

2001 Dodge Ram • 5.2L V8 2WD Automatic • 114,000 miles

My 01 Dodge Ram 1500 318 5.2 got broken into. They tried to steal my truck but was unsuccessful. My ignition system (barrel and switch) got smashed so I went to but a new one from NAPA. When I put the new one in, Nothing worked. Not even lights on my dash. When it still has the old smashed ignition switch, I could turn the old key and activate the lights and blower but not to the point where the truck should start. With the new ignition switch and cylinder, I could turn the key all the way but as I said, nothing happens. All I get is the dinging sound when you leave the key in and open the door. Please help.I live in the country and I won't be able to survive using the small car I have for daily commute. Thanks in advance
P.S
I have been to the dealership to check if my truck has a chip that has to be programmed to make the new ignition work with it and they said it doesn't.
Tonchieboy7

You'llhav eto see if the rod going to the ignition switch is ok an dalso try resetting your security system that may be the problem.

You mean the rod attached to the ignition switch going to the hole in the steering column? Yes, it it.I bought a brand new ignition cylinder and switch because they smashed the whole thing.

Tonchieboy7
How do I reset the Security on my truck? No power on the dash when I turn the new key that came with the new ignition system. No radio. No blower but my power windows and overhead lights are working.

Tonchieboy7
This may need to be scanned to fix it but take your door lock key and lock drivers door then unlock it and seeif truck will start. You might need to go on line to get different instructions as there are a lot there. We only fix them.

I went to the dealership to check if the New ignition has to be problems or what not. They asked me to bring my Old key. When they saw it, they said my truck is not chipped so I am good to go with the New one

Tonchieboy7
Then get it scanned and check asd relay underhood see if that is engaging not allowing it to start.

What do I have to get scanned? Will check the relay tomorrow and will let you know. Thank you for your help=)

Tonchieboy7
Any professional with a scanner can do it not necessarily the dealer.

I did scan provides but it's showing nothing. Couldn't make a connection to the vehicle it says probably because there's no power when I turn key

Tonchieboy7
* for codes I mean. Stupid auto correct

Tonchieboy7
Page 1 of 2