1989 Pontiac Grand Prix Engine not running

Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 1989 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Engine Mechanical problem
1989 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1989 Grand Prix with a 2.8L. It recently quit on me while accelerating out of a parking lot into traffic. Now it won't stay running. Has new fuel pump, is getting spark, checked the TPS, IAC, MAP, ECM, all is good. It gives a MAP code but I tried a different MAP to no avail. It will turn over and start but runs like it is on 2 cylinders and as soon as you give it gas it quits.I am pointing toward timing issue now but I cant find a timing mark on the crank pully so how do I check the timing. Any thoughts?
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 3:05 PM

24 Replies

Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
Start by checking fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Also check the fuel pressure regulator for gas in the vacuum line.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 8:08 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
I do not have a fuel pressure gauge but I just put a new fuel pump on it thinking that was the problem. Checked vacuum lines also, no fuel in them. Is the timing marks four circle indentations on the pulley?It really acts like it jumped time, How do I check that?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 2:25 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
Timing mark on balancer should have a dab of white paint on it or a "nick" on the pulley.

Timing is set by grounding terminals A and B of diagnostic link. Then check timing with inductive timing light.

If you cannot find TDC #1, then remove #1 spark plug, rotate engine by hand with socket and ratchet on balancer bolt, put finger in #1 hole, when you feel air coming out you are approaching TDC and timing marks should align. Use some chalk or paint and mark them.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 8:42 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Ya, thats what I thought, so I did that and put a mark on the pulley but now the thing won't run to check the timing.I can't think of anything else to check. Hate to tear into it for timing chain and that not be it. Allready wasted my time and $100 on the fuel pump.
Like I stated earlier when it does start it just chugs and studders like on 2 cyclinders for about 15-20 seconds and quits or when you give it gas it quits.

It's getting gas and spark, just acts like jumped timing. Any other thoughts. Thanks
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 5:48 PM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Unplugged all the sensors(thinking the ecm might be froze) and still getting same result. Just trying anything here. Any thoughts?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 11:13 PM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Do you have to remove the starter and oil pan to do timing chain?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Tuesday, July 28th, 2009 AT 11:26 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
When you connect A and B terminals of ALDL it will move the IAC to the fully closed position and remove all computer advance from the ECM. The idle will drop to about 500-600 rpm, but car should run.

I would take the IAC out and clean it and the base it fits into, as well as the EGR valve. EGR flow at idle will kill the engine.

I doubt it is a timing chain issue, although it could be loose, and may affect timing a degree or two.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
I cleaned the IAC. Can't get the thing to run to connect the A and B terminals.I tried unhooking the EGR vac line and ECM connect, no help.
I will try taking it off and clean it
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 2:02 PM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Cleaned the EGR, didn't help.
However I went back and rechecked ignition and found the spark is orange not blue.(First time I checked with a spark plug and was getting spark. So I thought that was good)
Does that mean ignition module?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 5:33 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
You can have the module testes at most autoparts stores for free, have them run the test at least twice.

It could also be the coils, spark should be blue.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 8:31 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Coils all checked good as well as the module
what is the cause of orange spark? Only thing left is the cps
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 6:30 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
IF coils and module are good, check grounds to block. Plugs ground to block and if ground is bad, they will either not fire or fire will be weak.

Also check wires, high resistance will cause weak spark.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 7:46 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Have checked all the grounds. What are the chances all 6 plug wires go bad at same time?

Getting the orange spark on all wires
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 11:53 AM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
Check resistance on wires, most factory wires are about 5000 ohms per foot.

If resistance exceeds that, then replace them. Wires like anything else in engine compartment go through thousands of heat cycles and do fail.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
All check good
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 3:18 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
How many ohms did the wires read?

Have you checked all ignition connections to the coils, and module for frayed wires?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 8:53 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
Checked the crank postion sensor today. It was reading.3-.6 volts while cranking engine
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 5:08 PM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
If you can get your hands on a scanner, use live data mode to check rpm while cranking, if none or erratic, then crank/cam sensor.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 8:08 AM
Tiny
PHANTOM01
  • 79 POSTS
It checks good on the meter.I'm thinking timing chain/gear
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 2:36 AM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • MECHANIC
  • 8,549 POSTS
If equipped with a distributor, then remove cap and hand rotate engine first clockwise then counterclockwise, while watching rotor, if chain is loose you will see a delay in rotor movement.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links