Low Compression & Restricted Performance

Tiny
NOOB101
  • JAGUAR XJ8
Hello,

Car: 2000 Jag XJ8 Vanden Plas

Vehicle Codes:
P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304 (Engine Miss Fire)

Other Code:
P1313 (Catlyst Efficiency)

Compression Test: (LOW Cyl 3)
CYL 4 - 165lb, CYL 1- 165lb, *(CYL 3 -115lb)* Low.

Other Issues:
* Wrong Coolant was placed in the car for about 7 months. Then I had it flushed and filled it up with the correct Orange Colored coolant. But it must not have been flushed correctly b/c it is not Orange right now, it is more of an orange/green color. I am having it reflushed along with the wiring harness repair. The "Engine Cololant Low" light comes on and goes off. Hope the flush fixes it.

* Upper fan wiring harness wires cut by the drive belt. I am having the wires rewired right now. So that issue should be fixed.

* Restricted performance warning light is now on and the car sputters and sounds rough.

If someone could please list some of the Top 5 things that might be wrong that would be great. I really do not want to take it to a dealership and just leave it. I would like to know more from some of the great minds here on this site. I know my descripitions might be more or less vague, but as my name on here suggest.I am a noob :(

Please help me try to understand some of the issues and what might have caused them to happen. I never had any warning for the car about overheating. But then again don't rule it out. I guess it is possible that the car did not warn me of the issue. Not sure.

Thanks for your help. :) :) :)
Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 4:05 PM

6 Replies

Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
Low compression on just 1 cylinder? Could be burnt valve or head gasket, get a block test done, tool is about 50.00 snifs gas in antifreeze, to detect gasket problem.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 4:14 PM
Tiny
NOOB101
  • 6 POSTS
Thanks for the suggestion. I am getting it tested in the morning when they rewire the harness to the fan & flush the coolant.

Again, I really would like to THANK everyone on this site for their help.

I hope you all have GREAT HOLLIDAYS!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 4:57 PM
Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
Thank you you too!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 29th, 2007 AT 5:58 PM
Tiny
FSTRANGER302
  • MECHANIC
  • 117 POSTS
Hello, the compressions for 1, 4 are ok. But the compression on 3 is a little low. Is this motor a higher milage motor. The codes u have and miss fire codes. Replace the spark plugs and coils for the cylinders. Make sure you get the right side on the engine the miss fires are coming from. The copression should increase when the engine starts running correct. The miss fires also will trigger the p1313 for catalyst efficency. Replace the coils and plugs first changed the oil and then drive car let me know if it helps thanks pat
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, December 5th, 2007 AT 10:55 AM
Tiny
NOOB101
  • 6 POSTS
I had cylinder #3 coil replaced & changed all of the spark plugs. But the problems seem to still be there.

The knocking sound did not stop.

The check engine light is still on.

The restricted performance light is still on.

If the car gets about 50-55 mph. It sputters and shakes some. I do not drive the car over 35-40 mph. I have only moved it about 3 times in a couple of months. I only drive it for about a mile and park it.

Standing in front of the car looking towards the back of the car. The #3 cylinder is on the left (passenger side) 3rd cylinder back. Right? I had them also try it on the 2nd cylinder back on the same side. But still the issues are there?

Any suggestions or thoughts on.

What the issues could be?
How much money might I be looking at just to find the issues and fix them?

Thanks again for your help. :)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, March 7th, 2008 AT 6:33 PM
Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
Did you do the block test yet? What were the results? If you flushed the radiator before this test, you may not get accurate reading!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 8:25 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links