Head Gasket Torque

Tiny
SCOTTW13
  • 1989 TOYOTA SUPRA
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • MANUAL
  • 95,000 MILES
I have heard that these 7mge engines are knows to blow head gaskets because the manufacturer did not torque the head gaskets tight enough. Can I torque them tighter to prevent this? And to what torque and how would I go about this project?
Thanks

Scott
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 12:40 AM

7 Replies

Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Below are the proper specs. and gasket placement..

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_477.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_60.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_2_38.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 12:53 AM
Tiny
SCOTTW13
  • 3 POSTS
I see that these are the manufacturers suggested torques. My question is that I have read that these manufacturers torques are not tight enough, and that the head gaskets bolts need to be torqued higher. Do you know what the new torque should be? And how would I go about this? Thanks

Scott
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 12:41 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
There is no recalls or technical service bulletins for this vehicle about cylinder head torque. My sources are up to date and direct from dealer repair manual. Tightening the bolts more than dealer specs is completely your decision and your call on what to torque it to beyond this. You would need a torque wrench to perform the operation.

User note: Toyota, not big on recalls. All these engines were meant to be 85 ft lbs. Somewhere an error occurred in the oem specifications. Look it up on Wikipedia Thanks
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+3
Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 1:17 PM
Tiny
JUSTINLANE
  • 2 POSTS
  • TOYOTA SUPRA
1. 1986 Toyota Supra
2. 42000 on new 3.0 liter engine
3. Automatic
4. 2 wheel drive

5. Rough in idle when parked and when moving. Acceleration pedal pressed inwards causes a clanking sound, much like a chain being dragged on the ground.

6. Anti-freeze out the exhaust pipe.

My radiator cap blew, taking the stem with it. I already replaced that with a new pressure release cap. The Anti-freeze problem and rough idle problem are still there, leading me to suspect that I've blown a head gasket, for it blew about a block or so from my house. I drove it home slowly, but I think the Head Gasket metal still warped. My question is, since I don't know the difference between the parts: Do I need to buy a Cylinder Head Gasket Set or just a single Cylinder Head Gasket?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 AT 11:27 AM (Merged)
Tiny
MHPAUTOS
  • MECHANIC
  • 31,938 POSTS
Hi there,

You will need a top o/haul set, this will have all the gaskets that you will require to do the job, but don't just fit a new gasket. You will have to have the head crack tested, checked for warpage and re machined otherwise you will be pulling the head off again next week end. Remember do it once do it right!

Mark (mhpautos0
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
JUSTINLANE
  • 2 POSTS
Thank you for the quick response; I appreciate it. As for the testing, all that needs to be done is the re-machining process. Turns out it had been warped, despite the fact it had only been driven home on for about a minute. Is there anyway I can add feedback to your reputation? I know that probably sounds lame that I don't know how to, but I'm relatively new here, and I would like to at least do something in return! . ;
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
MHPAUTOS
  • MECHANIC
  • 31,938 POSTS
Hi there,

Good to hear that things are working out for you there. As for the warped head, it only takes a few seconds sometimes to do this damage, I had a thermostat housing crack on my own car a while ago, I pulled up as soon as the low coolant light came on, but the head was dammaged already. It can happen that quick. As for feed back, that would be great, justv click feedback on my reply and it will tell you what to do.

Thank you, Mark (mhpautos)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links