2003 Opel Corsa Ignition problem during starting after a ga

Tiny
RANABIRGHOSH
  • 2003 OPEL CORSA
  • 4 CYL
  • 2WD
  • MANUAL
  • 24,000 MILES
I am from Calcutta, INDIA. I asked a question regarding this car before. Since the solutions suggested did not solve the problem, I started replacing suspect components one by one.

I replaced the battery with a new one, ignition cable set, spark plug set, Ignition coil. Emptied the gas tank got it cleaned and filled up with premium gas. Changed the fuel filter, air intake filter and also got the car serviced.

Now there is no sluggishness, pick-up problem or engine knocking - but, if I do not start the car for more than 2-days, it simply refuses to start. After several attempts, one cylinder fires, then two then all four. I get a smell of unburned gas for some time, then every thing is fine. The whole day the car will run like new without a hint of trouble.

The computer warning light never lights up during starting problem. I took it to the GM service center who ran a complete diagnostic without finding out any problem.

By trial and error I found a round about way to avoid the problem - either start the car every morning whether I am using it or not, other wise if there is a gap of several days, simply turn on the ignition and wait for 30 seconds. Switch off wait for 5 seconds, then switch on again and start the engine, it purrs smoothly without any problem. It is weird!

Could any body please give me a clue about this peculiar behavior of the car and a solution.

Thanks!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/335543_Opel_Corsa_Sail_14_2.jpg

Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:43 AM

8 Replies

Tiny
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,262 POSTS
I'm reading through your old posts to see if I can suggest something that other have not.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 7:39 PM
Tiny
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,262 POSTS
Right now i'm leaning towards a fuel problem.

I have an idea for getting some more information.

Let the car sit for 3 days, go outside every day and turn the key on for 30 seconds, but don't start it.

On the 4th day, just turn the key like normal without the 30 second wait.

(what i'm fishing for is to see if maybe the fuel system is sucking air somewhere, and by turning the key for 30 seconds, you are circulating the bubbles all the way back to the tank)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 7:50 PM
Tiny
RANABIRGHOSH
  • 7 POSTS
At present I am in USA Milwaukee. I have asked a friend of mine to start the car every morning. I shall be back to Calcutta on September 3rd.

Right now I am trying to call up my friend in Calcutta and would request him to do what you have suggested then give you my feed back I get from him.

But one thing bugs me, if it was a fuel problem, why do I get smell of raw gasoline when the car ultimately starts and runs roughly (like it used to happen with a gas overflow in old cars with carburetor?)

Also when I use it regularly, the whole day it never gives any problem like refusing to start, rough engine running or misfiring. It runs very smooth like a new car. If air was being sucked in would this happen?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 11:00 AM
Tiny
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,262 POSTS
I'm just trying to do some testing right now.
I look forward to hearing back from you in a few days.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM
Tiny
RANABIRGHOSH
  • 7 POSTS
My friend in Calcutta did exactly as you told - kept the ignition switched on for 1 minute (without starting) for three consecutive day, one the fourth day he could not come to my house. On fifth day he started the car normally without waiting after switching on the ignition, the car started at once with all the four cylinders firing smoothly.

So may be your diagnosis is correct. How do I proceed to rectify the fuel pump / air suction problem.

Thanks!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 12:05 PM
Tiny
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,262 POSTS
The next step may be too much for you to ask of your friend.

While it is working correctly. Turn off the engine.
Connect a fuel pressure gauge. Make note of what the pressure is with the engine off.
Have one person turn the key and immediately start the engine.
A second person under the hood and watch for two things, How fast the pressure comes up. And what the pressure is.
This will give us a base line of how it is supposed to react.

Now let the car sit for 4 days and repeat the test.

(what i'm fishing for now is to see if the fuel pump is coming on while the key is in START position,
AND verifying that the fuel system is holding pressure over a long period of time.)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 3:01 PM
Tiny
RANABIRGHOSH
  • 7 POSTS
Yes you are right, It will be too much to ask from my friend, so it can only be done after I go back to Calcutta on September 3rd, from USA. So I have to wait for about 5-weeks before I can give you a feed back.

Thanks and regards -
Ranabir
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 6:00 PM
Tiny
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,262 POSTS
Ok.
I [i:bc4f83c220]should [/i:bc4f83c220] get an automated email when you reply again in this thread,
But if I haven't responded within a couple of days, feel free to email me directly.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 6:38 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links