My engine is overheating how do I fix it?

Tiny
SIXTUSOKOLIEUZO
  • 2010 FORD RANGER
  • 4 CYL
  • TURBO
  • 4WD
  • MANUAL
  • 28,342 MILES
My car overheat when ever I enter the highway. But if i'm within the city, it won't overheat. What could be the problem?
Monday, October 5th, 2015 AT 1:14 AM

21 Replies

Tiny
WRENCHTECH
  • MECHANIC
  • 20,757 POSTS
Hello,

It sounds like the radiator is plugged not allowing the coolant to be cooled. Here is a guide to help find out for sure with a guide to walk you through the steps of changing the radiator with diagrams and instructions on how to do the job on your truck below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-radiator

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Monday, October 5th, 2015 AT 2:11 AM
Tiny
SAM.SMALL
  • 2 POSTS
Thank you for this post, I had this problem and had to get a new radiator cost me 134.00 all fixed!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, April 18th, 2019 AT 4:54 PM
Tiny
SIMPLEDON66
  • 1 POST
  • 2007 FORD RANGER
  • 27,000 MILES
I have a 2007 Ford Ranger Sport with a 3.0 V6, it only has less than 27,000 miles on it. The water in the reservoir boils but it's not hot, it's just a lot of air pressure, also I have to keep adding water to the radiator because it evaporates out. The temperature gauge goes up then back down again?

I need to know what to do?

I love this site :-)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Wednesday, October 28th, 2020 AT 2:01 PM (Merged)
Tiny
HOMER1967
  • MECHANIC
  • 875 POSTS
You have a blown head gasket in all likeliness. All of those symtoms point to that, perform a leakdown test to confirm or take it to someone who can.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
LEPHEANE14
  • 1 POST
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
  • 2.5L
  • 2WD
  • MANUAL
  • 210,000 MILES
My truck is over heating even after changing radiator and thermostat.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
MHPAUTOS
  • MECHANIC
  • 31,938 POSTS
Get a head check done, this is a quick and simple chemical test for a blown head gasket, was the car over heating badly before you changed the radiator and thermostat? Cooling fan working?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
FRANKO 1
  • 1 POST
  • 2005 FORD RANGER
Engine Cooling problem
2005 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 72.000 miles

engine seems to be running hot, but the temperature gauge is normal, bottom hose is cold, think it might be thermostat closed, but not sure exactly where the housing for thermostat would be, think it is bottom hose?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, October 28th, 2020 AT 2:02 PM (Merged)
Tiny
DAVE H
  • MECHANIC
  • 13,383 POSTS
Thermostat Housing - 2.3L
Removal and Installation
NOTE:The thermostat and thermostat housing are serviced as an assembly.

Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to COOLING SYSTEM DRAINING, FILLING AND BLEEDING - 2.3L.
Disconnect the coolant hose and the lower radiator hose.
Fig. 10: Disconnecting Coolant Hose And Lower Radiator Hose
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
Remove the bolts and the thermostat housing.
Fig. 11: Removing Thermostat Housing
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_therm_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_therm2_1.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+2
Tiny
WOLFROCK
  • 1 POST
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
  • 4 CYL
  • 2WD
  • MANUAL
  • 75,000 MILES
My car showed obd codes of p2004 and po171, but still seemed to be running fine. I was driving at highway speeds and the engine overheated. It still had plenty of fluid in the cooling system. I let it cool down, then started it up. It ran terribly. It dies at idle speeds and barely runs with the accelerator halfway down. It now shows the previous codes plus p0316, p0300, p0301 and p0302. I suspect a blown head gasket, but no water leaking from around the head or coming from the tailpipe. From the codes I know that cylinder 1 and 2 are misfiring. What is going on and where do I start?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
BLACKOP555
  • MECHANIC
  • 10,371 POSTS
I think the lean issue is what cuased the overheating, it causes the vehicle to overheat due to the low combustion mixture.

P2004 Intake Manif Runner Ctrl Stuck Open Bank 1 could be an issue providing too much air causing the lean issue.

And since that side is lean it coul be putting in too much fuel into cylindrers 1 and 2 ccausing the missfire codes on its behalf.

So I would check the runners for the air intake and check out the oxygen sensor on bank 1 and see how those are working. Reset the codes and see how it goes.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
MERLIN2021
  • MECHANIC
  • 17,250 POSTS
You might want to do a compression test as well, this will confirm if cylinders are leaking compression.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
BLACKOP555
  • MECHANIC
  • 10,371 POSTS
Ahh, forgot about that thanks merlin.

Thats a good way to find out if the headgasket is bad and also if something else could be wrong and causing the missfire code.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
TEGGYBOY
  • 1 POST
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
  • 140,000 MILES
Why do I have to rely on my honda when my fords go out every other month. My ranger is having serious issue out of the blue I thought about testing the spark with the driver and the plug cause I was thinking coil pack maybe but im tired and exhaust from keeping putting money into this pos. I did all the bodywork and painted it to get it ready for sale. The truck ran fine but was down for a week for me to do the body and paint and I **** you not the day I took it out of my paint booth the problems started. So I started with fuel pump and replaced everything on up to the cylinder heads. I replaced every vacuum line as well and thermostat housing for the overheating problem which I dont think you addressed with yet I have to go back to ur reply, sorry, along with replacing the radiator and all hoses for that. I only wanted 3 grand for it and its worth much more but I have to keep jacking the price up cause I have to keep putting money in it. Flustered as hell man.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
ASEMASTER6371
  • MECHANIC
  • 52,797 POSTS
Did you replace the thermostat? It sounds like you did but not sure.

Do you have fuel pressure? If so, how much?
Did you check to see if it has spark?
Make sure the inertia switch button is pushed down. It is under the rf kick panel in the truck.

Roy
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
JONNYHODGBANG
  • 1 POST
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
  • 4 CYL
  • 4WD
  • MANUAL
  • 140,000 MILES
I have a problem, replaced radiator, still overheating top hose getting hot, bottom hose cold, appears to be over pressurising. Where is the water pump & thermostat situated? Pulling my hair out.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
BILLYMAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 2,204 POSTS
Sounds like a t stat prob follow the upper hose to the engine t stat is here in the housing
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
DCOPEN
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
  • 4 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 154,000 MILES
I have had my thermostat, fan clutch and water pump changed and I'm still having this problem. After driving and the system has reached normal temperature the heat will creep up to about 3/4 of the way up the thermometer. I usually turn on the heat to compensate for the increase in temperature. This will cool it back to normal temp. While I'm driving the temp will stay normal but if I traffic is "stop and go" it heats up. Once I park my truck and turn it off the coolant will start to boil over in about 30-45 seconds. The coolant backs up in the reservoir and acts like it has no where to go.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
BMRFIXIT
  • MECHANIC
  • 19,053 POSTS
Check radiator and flush coolant system

do a head gasket check
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
DCOPEN
  • 2 POSTS
I have checked the radiator and the coolant has been flushed. I did this when I had all the other work done.

I have not done a head gasket check though. Would I need to take this into a shop? What all does this involve?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
BMRFIXIT
  • MECHANIC
  • 19,053 POSTS
Check with your local part store for a head gasket test kit this guide will show you how to do the test.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please run down this guide and report back.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links