2001 Chrysler LHS Timing Belt

Tiny
MTXMIKE
  • 2001 CHRYSLER LHS
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 10,000 MILES
According to Chrysler, my Timing Belt broke this morning while I was driving 65mph down the freeway. It ran very hot, I pulled over right away, called a tow truck, and had it towed to Chrysler, and they are saying the cost is $1200.00, to replace the timing belt and they can't gaurantee that will fix the problem, what are my alternitives.

And Thank you In advance.

Mike
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 2:24 PM

7 Replies

Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • MECHANIC
  • 3,711 POSTS
Hi Mike,

Did your vehicle shut down while driving before pulling over? If not then I would say that it may not be the Timing Belt, cause your vehicle would have shut down as soon as it broke.

It is possible that the water pump has gone bad. And it is run by the Timing Belt. So, it would only make sense to change the Timing Components at the same time.

And of course the dealer is gonna be more expensive than if you call your local repair shops.

So, I would call around and inquire about your problem and then decide on which one you feel has been more truthful and have it taken to them for diagnosis.

Or if you are mechanically enclined we can assist in diagnosis by giving you places to start looking.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 2:39 PM
Tiny
MTXMIKE
  • 4 POSTS
No the car did not cut off by itself, I pulled over and turned it off, it did however suddenly run very hot, the Temp gauge went from normal to the red zone in less than 1 minute, (the time it took me to pull over and shut it down).
And yes I'm mechanically inclined and would welcome your help.

I want to thank you for your assistance.

Mike
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 2:50 PM
Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • MECHANIC
  • 3,711 POSTS
Ok, once you get the vehicle home check radiator if empty fill with water (No Coolant Yet). Look and see if there are any leaks. If no obvious leaks try starting vehicle if starts let run till it is at about 3/4 to over heating turn off look for leaks. Also feel top radiator hose(be carefull may be hot). If it feels cold or warmer than you feel it should Thermastat could be stuck closed.

Also listen for the Radiator Fan(s) do they come on?

If not check relays.

Post finding here.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 2:59 PM
Tiny
MTXMIKE
  • 4 POSTS
I did check, the hoses and also for leaks and didn't see any, just alittle smoke around the main hose, but the reserve tank was boiling, but I new it was to hot to remove the cap on the reserve tank, I thought and hoped it was just the termostate, until Chrysler gave me this news.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 3:16 PM
Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • MECHANIC
  • 3,711 POSTS
Do you remember if the fans were running or not.

And have you attempted to start the vehicle.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 3:31 PM
Tiny
MTXMIKE
  • 4 POSTS
No I don't remember if the fans were running, I turned the ignition off, but didn't chech to see if they were working.

And yes I did try to start it about an hour after I pulled over, it didn't start, but it did turn over.

Mike
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 3:42 PM
Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • MECHANIC
  • 3,711 POSTS
Ok, there are a few things that need to be checked.

First - you will need to see if you can remove the Top Section of the Timing Covers or at least get a good look at the belt and have some one bump the engine over to make sure the belt is still intact and rotates the cams.

Next - if the timing belt checks intact need to check for fuel.

If getting fuel will then need to check for Spark at the Plugs. Should be a Bright Bluish/White.

If no fuel turn key to on position and listen for Fuel Pump should run about 3 - 5 seconds and shut off. If don't hear fuel pump check relays.

Post findings.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 6:23 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links