Transmission Control Module

Tiny
VENMEX
  • 2000 JEEP CHEROKEE
  • V8
  • AWD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 108,000 MILES
Where is the Trans Control Module located? EXACTLY. I have been told three different things about the module. It's a stand alone part, it's part of the PCM (all one unit) and it's part of the JTEC (Jeep Truck Engine Controller), never heard of this one. How can there be some many replies to such a simple question?

Thanks
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 3:58 PM

12 Replies

Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Hello
Thanks for the donation.

There are may different models and trims for the 2000 Jeep Cherokee, such as the Jeep Cherokee Limited or the Jeep Cherokee Classic etc. This, along with your engine size, will determine the exact location for your tranny control module. Please list your specific trim and engine size and I can better assist you here.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 4:04 PM
Tiny
VENMEX
  • 6 POSTS
Thanks so much for responding. It's a 2000 grand cherokee (is this what you mean by trim?), 4.7 engine. Does this help?

Thanks!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 4:17 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Great, thanks for that information.

Your vehicle's transmission control module is located in the right inner fender, pictured below.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_187.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+3
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 4:22 PM
Tiny
VENMEX
  • 6 POSTS
I understand you can't go on forever answering my question, but I do have a problem: The only item that looks even close to that location is connected to an aluminum heat sink about 5-6 inches square, which is facing towards the left fender, which this drawing doesn't show. The "sink" is next to the engine coolant expansion tank, which is attached to the fender. Otherwise, the compartment is situated differently. For example, the item marked 103 has two modules below it, mine has three. I can't see any other modules in that area. I could send a photo if it would help.

Again,
thanks
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 4:56 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
The drawing was to show the electrical components only, it was not meant to show the actualy body or other components. You say the left fender, the module is located on the right fender. You can send a photo so I can better see if you would like.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 5:01 PM
Tiny
VENMEX
  • 6 POSTS
Hi, this pic shows an arrow pointing to the device attached to the heat sink, the other arrow points to where there are three modules attached to the firewall (behind other components in pic). I don't see any other modules, perhaps you could point me in the right direction. And I do appreciate your hanging in there with me.

Thanks

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307704_good_fixed_resize_1.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 5:58 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Okay. I have circled what looks like a connector. Sorry, it is hard to see exactly what it is from the pic. Can you clear up what it is? That may be the module connector or something completely off topic, haha. I tried looking up the module online and can not come up with a real picture of it, but you can call the dealer and see if they will print out a picture of it for you then just match it up. Hard to see from way over the internet, sorry.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_188.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 6:21 PM
Tiny
VENMEX
  • 6 POSTS
Hi, I see my pic I sent you, but I don't see yours. Any ideas? Would a different view help?

Thanks!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 6:25 PM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Pic should be there now. A pic closer to firewall, near the resevoir would help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 6:27 PM
Tiny
VENMEX
  • 6 POSTS
Hi, back again. Please let me know if this is bugging you. I've enclosed a pic of your request. Everything you're looking at is a connector, not a module, that's why I stumped. I'm in Mexico, no where near a dealer, let alone anyone who I would trust with my car.

Thanks again,
Jeff

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307704_motor_1_1.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 11:36 AM
Tiny
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,542 POSTS
Okay, I have another tech coming to help out with this. He has a lot more exp. Than me so just bare with us and he'll be in here helping okay :D Oh and you're not bugging anyone. We are here to help so don't worry about bothering anyone ;)

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 12:02 PM
Tiny
RASMATAZ
  • MECHANIC
  • 75,992 POSTS
Bluelightnin6

The powertrain controll module is on the right side of the firewall and the TCM is where its suppose to be as illustrated in the pic.

Been tracing the tranny circuitry and it all leads back to the PCM as the controller of the tranny

If its me I'll disconnect the wiring harness connector on that side and follow it where it dead ends
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 4:19 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links