1995 Lincoln Town Car lower ball joint

Tiny
HAYDAD61
  • 1995 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
  • V8
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 146,000 MILES
I'm in the process of replacing both lower ball joints. The issue I have run into, it appears the joint needs to be pressed out from the bottom to the top. On the underside of the ball joint there appears to be a cap over the bottom of the ball joint housing. Does that cap need to be removed prior to pressing out the bearing? If so, how is that done?

Thanks and any additional advice for replacing the lower ball joints will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sunday, April 19th, 2009 AT 10:10 PM

4 Replies

Tiny
MHPAUTOS
  • MECHANIC
  • 31,938 POSTS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

According to Mitchell 1 the lower ball joint is not serviced as a replacement item alone, and the lower control are Assembly must be replaced, there are no instructions on replacing the ball join alone, see text.

mark (mhpautos)

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Noname_66.jpg

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 5:57 AM
Tiny
HAYDAD61
  • 3 POSTS
I read that in the Haynes service manual. However, since I have found on some of the car forums where this it has been done and parts are available from parts suppliers for this car I have taken on the project. I initially took the car to a service center to see what the problem was and when they quoted me they noted all the parts needed and the lower control arm was not on the list, for either side.

Cars up, everything is off and ready to finish, except pressing out the lower joint.

Would you mind passing this on to someone that has done this.

Thanks

Larry
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 7:43 AM
Tiny
OBXAUTOMEDIC
  • MECHANIC
  • 3,711 POSTS
Hi Larry,

It has been a while since I done ball joints on a town car. But, If I remember right it presses out from the top down. And there is no cap on the bottom it is just the way it is made.

However, like mhpautos said it is recommended to replace the whole assembly.

The Garage quoted you that because they will make more $$$$ on the job if they do it that way. Plus they have the tools to do it.

For the Shade Tree or Back Yard Mechanic replacing the assembly is the quick and most cost effective way. You don't need any specialized tools.

Also if you don't have a Ball Joint Press getting the old one out and new one in is pretty much impossible.

Hope this helped.

Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 2:08 PM
Tiny
HAYDAD61
  • 3 POSTS
Thanks for the reply.

Got it out and all is well. Lower and uppers on both sides. The press made the job possible. As you noted, it would have been impossible other wise.

It was pressed out top to bottom.

It was a learning experience but enjoyable.

I considered replacing the Lower assembly but didn't want to mess with removing the shocks and spring.

And on the Lincoln forum sight it had been referred to several times and done with success. So I gave it a shot.

Thanks again and keep smilen!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 3:07 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links