Heater problems

Tiny
BSFREEMAN
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
  • 6 CYL
  • 4WD
  • MANUAL
  • 117,000 MILES
My 1997 ford ranger the air flow moves around when I give it more gas, and the temp control is not working right. It blow hot air when I have it on cold.
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 2:26 AM

31 Replies

Tiny
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • MECHANIC
  • 108,117 POSTS
The movement of air flow is most likely caused by a vacuum leak under the dash. The vent doors that direct air flow are actuated by vacuum. Check for leaks. As far as the temp control, make sure the switch on the dash is connected to the blend air door (under dash near heater core). This guide will help us fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

Please run down this guide and report back.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 7:22 PM
Tiny
KALEP
  • 1 POST
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
  • 4 CYL
  • 2WD
  • MANUAL
  • 160,000 MILES
1997 ford ranger heater is not working. Changed the thermostat but that did not help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, December 28th, 2020 AT 12:53 PM (Merged)
Tiny
CARADIODOC
  • MECHANIC
  • 33,723 POSTS
Feel the two heater hoses. They should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they are not, suspect a plugged heater core. They can usually be back flushed with a garden hose. Pull the hoses off the engine, not the heater core to prevent cracking the tubes.

If the hoses are hot, a common problem is the electric actuators on the heater box.

Caradiodoc
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
KC2118
  • 1 POST
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
  • 6 CYL
  • 2WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 147,532 MILES
The heater in my truck does not like to work. Sometimes it wil but most of the time it doesn't. It will start working when I trun the truck on and then after about ten seconds stop. It seems to work less when it is cold outside. I have replaced fuses and it didn't help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
JDL
  • MECHANIC
  • 16,098 POSTS
Welcome to the site, your saying the blower motor stops blowing? Did you use a testlite and check the fuse circuits for voltage, when the problem is ongoing? Underhood fuse box, blower fuse 40 amp, hot all the time. Interior fuse box, 7.5 amp fuse, goes hot with key on. You can also use jumper wires from battery for voltage and ground to the blower motor connector, use inline fuse. See if the motor acts correctly? The speeds for the blower motor are controlled on the ground side, you don't need to worry about different speeds until you test the motor.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
HORNBACK1
  • 1 POST
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
  • 6 CYL
  • 4WD
  • AUTOMATIC
  • 176,000 MILES
Blower motor blows ONLY cold outside air. I have replaced heater blend door lever. All heater hoses get hot and temp gauge shows normal heat, but can not get heat to blow inside. Want to know a solution on how to repair.
Thanks in advance.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
WRENCHTECH
  • MECHANIC
  • 20,757 POSTS
There is likely a problem of some kind with the blend door. It could be the control head, the actuator or even the door itself could be jammed or broken. That will have to be determined through examination.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
RWANK
  • 1 POST
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
No heat, core is not pugged, is there an air blend door motor and how can I check it and replace?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, December 28th, 2020 AT 12:54 PM (Merged)
Tiny
PEPPERMRJ
  • MECHANIC
  • 1,158 POSTS
Check that the cables are attached and functional from the heater controls to the door.

Could alos be a heater control valve used to shut the flow of hot coolant into the cab when the AC is running. It is usually located in a heaterhose. Could also be at the heater core.

Invest in a manual for this type of work. It is well worth the money.

Good luck and let us know. :)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
ZACHH4111
  • 2 POSTS
  • 1995 FORD RANGER
When I turn the dials I get no ac or heat or air blowing at all. Don't know where to start. Maybe fuse, blower motor? I did notice 2 pipes cut that are near the back left of the motor? Need some help asap so I can fix before winter!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • MECHANIC
  • 30,870 POSTS
Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?That would really help.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
ZACHH4111
  • 2 POSTS
Yes I do
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
SATURNTECH9
  • MECHANIC
  • 30,870 POSTS
First thing unplug the blower motor put the fan on high see if you have battery voltage across the blower motor connector? I believe the motor is under the hood on the passenger side on that truck.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
NORM1130
  • 3 POSTS
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Heater problem
1994 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

My truck's heater isn't working properly. I can feel the heat when the blower is off and I have lever on hot, but if I turn the blower on after a few minutes it blows cool air. The thermostat has been changed and it passed a pressure test. Any suggestions?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, December 28th, 2020 AT 12:55 PM (Merged)
Tiny
JACOBANDNICKOLAS
  • MECHANIC
  • 108,117 POSTS
Are ou sure the coolant is full? Also, I need you to check somethoing. With the engine hot, running, the heater on high, feel both heater core hoses. THe should both be hot. Let me know what you find.

Joe
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
NORM1130
  • 3 POSTS
Yes coolant is full. Tested hoses as you said, top hose was hot, bottom was cool. How bad/expensive is it?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
2CP-ARCHIVES
  • 4,542 POSTS
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
  • 150,000 MILES
My heater is not working but it is blow what is is
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
RENAUDTN
  • MECHANIC
  • 636 POSTS
Do you mean that when you turn on the heat, you have air coming out of the vents but it isn't warm?
If so, check your level of coolant first (engine cold). If low, add coolant as necessary.
If level is fine, turn on the car and while it's idling, grab the upper radiator hose with your bare hand; do you feel coolant going through it? You shouldn't until the car has reached normal operating temperature.
If you do, your thermostat is stuck open and you need to replace it (typically this condition also results in your engine taking a very long time to warm up, and your temp gauge doesn't go up a whole lot, at least not to where it used to).
If you don't, the next step would be to find out whether your heater core is clogged. To do that, let your car reach normal operating temperature, then turn on the heat. Both heater core hoses (the ones that go in the firewall) should be very hot. If one is hot and the other is luke warm or even cold, your heater core is clogged and you need to flush it.
Finally, if everything checks out fine, you may have a problem with your blend door. It may be stuck on cold.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
GTC
  • 1 POST
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Heater problem
1994 Ford Ranger

After the engine runs and temp gage says temp is normal but there is no heat. I checked the core for blockage and water flows thru the core unrestricted. Therostat appears to work properly. Is there a check valve in this system that could be restricting water flow to heater?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Tiny
DAVE H
  • MECHANIC
  • 13,383 POSTS
INSUFFICIENT HEAT
Ensure cooling system is operating properly. Check heater system hoses and core for coolant flow. Check for loose or misaligned cable to temperature blend door. And check blend door is not stuck closed

TEMPERATURE CONTROL LEVER
The temperature lever mechanically operates a cable to adjust the temperature blend door. Temperature blend door is in the plenum assembly. When temperature lever is in COOL position, temperature blend door closes off airflow to heater core. When lever is in the WARM position, air is directed through the heater core. When lever is in intermediate positions, heated air is blended with cooler incoming air to achieve desired temperature.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
+1

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links