1984 Jeep CJ7 84 CJ 7 stalls when it idols.

Tiny
KRW5910
  • 1984 JEEP CJ7
  • 6 CYL
  • 4WD
  • MANUAL
  • 20,000 MILES
My jeep dies everytime I push the clutch in or put it in nuetral/ just idoling. But when I am driving it runs great thru all the gears. It has no problems starting after it dies. To keep it running I have to feather the throttle. Ive replaced the fuel pump and inline filter. Also adjusted the idol screw but it didnt seem to do anything. I even attempted to unplug the electric choke which helped for a bit then it started acting up so I replugged it in and it helped agian for a bit then back to what it was doing.

not sure what the problem is but it seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 2:13 PM

15 Replies

Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
Please keep responding, so I will have something to do!

I'm on Eastern time.

I answer a lot of the CJ 5s & 7s

1st I want you to tighten all of your carb screws (that hold it together) and the nuts that hold it to the intake.

Next look for vacuum leaks----everywhere!

Let me know your tool and tune-up tool situation and auto competency level, so that maybe I can explain on a higher level than I do, this might go faster!

Anything that might have happened, or happening now will help!

Then I want you to read over this link to another answer of mine.......See if you are game to simplify your vacuum mess........I will help you thru all!.....No matter how long it takes!

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/1985-jeep-cj7-stalls-when-hot-vt452051.html

I'm sorry, I sorta talk in circles....But I do know the Deal!..........I will explain anything better, if you do not understand. I can send some pics if needed.

Your Turn (reply to question)

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 2:47 PM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
First off my best wishes to your father!

I have recently tighened the mounting screws but will look around and tighen everything else.

Im not sure how the vacuum system works as my repair knowledge is little when it come to vacuum and carb issues. And electrical. But for the most part know my way around a motor.

Lately it been acting if its choking itself out. I pulled the air cleaner and reved the motor I can see it getting fuel. I recently replaced spark plugs and wires, distubitor cap and rotor. Starter silinoid and coil.

The issue is speratic sometimes it will idol high and run or low and run but most of the time it dies as soon as I take the load off the motor.

I have a basic tool kit and a haynes.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 3:21 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
Roger, Just arrived at the hospital, relieved my sisters.

Will your Jeep do a high RPM (not blowing it up or anything) and will it hold that for 30 seconds or so, while we try something?

This hospital network cuts me off. So its going to go slow, especially with my Superb Cyber skills.

Let me know if it will, I will tell you what to do. This may fix you quick

Over,

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 6:04 PM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
Yes it will hold high rpm for 30 sec. (Depending what you mean by high rpm) the motor is fairly new less than 20,000 miles.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
3rd attempt, hospital times out fast,

Try this

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/jeep-wrangler-1988-jeep-wrangler-engine-issues-when-braking

This is definitely keeping me busy!!!

Your Turn

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 7:08 PM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
OK I will try it. And see what it does. I will have to do it tomorrow tho :( seeing as it is dark out and raining. I'm gonna have to do the vacuum lines tomorrow as well. I studied your pics and think I have some issues there. My dist. Line is hooked to my air cleaner. The previous owner had removed some of the smog stuff but there are lines running everywhere. Ill post some pics in the morning as well.

I've owned this jeep for 4 months 300 dollars in repairs and I'm trying to like it. Not gonna give up on it yet!

Also ill go to harbor freight in the morning and get the tune up tools I need.

I really appreciate your help and will probably keep you busy for a few days.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 7:47 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
That STALLS WHEN HOT (1st link I sent) post will show you NECESSARY lines. The rest can be disabled. Removed later when you are confident you do not need them. Cap off the ones I show in the pics

I will help you thru it all. Later you might swap that computer controlled carb for one like on a 1979 258

If your distributor was not vacuum operating, this may cause part of your idle problem

Do you have items in the kit I show, for a tune up?

Lets get the necessary lines connected 1st, then we will check timing and then tune the carbor reverse the last 2 just to get it half-way smooth---then re-tweak the carb

Ask anything you want--I will keep responding.I check my posts frequently (I have other stuff to do too) Be patient, I will be here

Explore the CJ 5 & 7 forumsthere are other issues you might be dealing with.

Your Turn

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, November 7th, 2010 AT 8:13 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_83_CJ_STEPPER_CARB_001_1.jpg

This is Ron's '83 CJ7 258 BBD CARB and CHOKE (my neighbor, across the street), Mine is Now a HOLLEY 390 CFM, 4 barrel on my 258, 6 cylinder (so we cannot go by it!)

On Ron's, assuming its like yours

We will make a STONE COLD ADJUSTMENT on the choke

1st, Hold the throttle back (maybe a 1/4 of the way open) This may not be necessary on your configuration, I cannot see it, and it will not hurt to do it anyway!.........This will release the "warm-up steps" so that the choke linkage will not be binding while you move the choke plate (yet another possible adjustment on yours, that might have to be dealt with, so that the Jeep idles at a higher speed, while the choke is engaged at different openings) When it finally, is STEPPED DOWN and And the CHOKE IS COMPLETELY OFF, the Jeep should be at NORMAL IDLE!

2nd, Still, I have no hands on----so you will have to wing this one! (its EZ) I just don't remember which direction to go!

Disconnect the choke wire......but reconnect it, when we finish!

Twist the Black Cover (in pic, says "lean" on it) Twist it slightly both directions, find the direction that will allow this: We want to have the Choke Butterfly CLOSED (laying flat).............But BARELY.....Almost on the Verge of opening..................Doing this adjustment sometimes works the best, when its really cold!..............Older BBD carbs, have 3 screws that must be loosened 1st, Ron's has rivets, that will allow "movage" or "twistage" of the cover (the bi-metal spring is inside of it)

Reconnect the choke wire, this wire helps to warm up the Bi-Metal Spring, which will assist in pulling the choke into the open position as the Jeep warms up.

Provided everything is still in that "HAPPY WORLD" Condition of 1984.......We hope its somewhat close anyway!

I INSTALLED MANUALLY OPERATED CHOKES ON MINE....I LIKE TO BE IN CHARGE!...... I HAVE FOUND THAT THE AUTOMATIC CHOKE STAYS ON TOO LONG OR GETS STICKY SOMETIMES.

You just gotta get used to using it, and feathering it toward off, then off, as your engine reaches operating temperature. When its really warm out, "On" to crank up, then immediately off!

You will soon learn how your peaked out engine, has the need.....or not for some or no choke, just by the way it runs well or sluggish

On some of the later CJs the choke does not operate like the one in the pic, If yours is like the one in the pic, it can be done in 2 hours or less (less if you "Catch On" real quick!)

I can show you how to do it, and it perform as it should, without it binding and getting hung up, or operating "On Its Own"

Your Turn

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:29 AM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
Raining/ snowing heavily- Idaho - this morning hoping for a break in the storm to get some pics and to start making the adjustments. Will keep you informed
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:56 AM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
Rough night, I shoulda napped before I got here, Pap was trying to get up all night. Very confused. Played with the bed controls and alerted nurses all night. Chemo has messed up his intestines, He was "Gaining" on the nurses. They looked as though they had been "depth charged" on a submarine. And were scrambling to plug the leaks!"

I tried to give you a lot of info, the darn hospital router would die out, before I could submit.I started "Copying and pasting". Copy before submit, then paste and submit when I got back online!

I sorta Hunt and peck slowly, so I am too lazy to go back and put stuff in a order. Can you understand my "CONTENT"?

Thank goodness its you freezing, I got enough of that during U.S. Army Ranger School and Ranger Battalion ('82-'87).I hate the cold!

Anything that does not make sense, let me clarify!

Will send you a "PM" (private message) I'm sure you will respond at PM, get some good info!

Look for PM

The Medic

I WROTE SOME MORE IN, ON PAGE "1" IN THE CHOKE SECTION
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:39 AM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
Ok here are some pictures of the mess im working with...

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/590177_PICT2594_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/590177_PICT2593_1.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/590177_PICT2592_1.jpg

got some work to do on the vacuum lines O.o
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 4:29 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
OK, SOLDIER

ITS MIND OVER MATTER----I DON'T MIND, SO THE WEATHER DON'T MATTER!

I will stick my Email Address in the Walmart Writing

I am Cyber-Stupid and usually stay in familiar territory (too many times my computer programmer sister has had to REALLY straighten stuff out)---Last night I stumbled into "RSS" (whatever that stands for) while viewing "Who's Online" at the bottom of the BIG FORUM, AT this site.

To me, it looks like you can configure to see, not only recent posts (hot off the press) But somehow you can get an Email every time the Author you pick, throws out a new one. Am I on AZIMUTH with my deductions?

The Medic
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 9:56 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
OK, THIS IS MY 1ST ATTEMPT TO SEND A REPLY, SINCE THEY HAVE REALLY MESSED UP THEY WAY THIS USED TO WORK.I AM GOING TO TRY TO THROW IN A PIC (IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW.)

I AM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ANSWERS RIGHT NOW, WHERE IT SAYS, "*MESSAGE". BELOW THIS BOX IS "CREATE QUESTION REPLY"

I SEE NOTHING ABOUT SENDING A PIC.I HAVE ALSO NOTICED EVERYTHING IS IN SLOW MOTION ON THE SITE (RASMATAZ OUGHTA LOVE THAT) SO I AM GONNA SEARCH FOR A PIC--DEALEE,

I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER I AM MAKING A COMMENT---OR---RESPONDING
TO MY LAST ANSWER
LOVE,

THE CONFUSED MEDIC
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, November 12th, 2010 AT 6:51 PM
Tiny
KRW5910
  • 7 POSTS
Ok let's see how this works
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Thursday, November 18th, 2010 AT 4:40 PM
Tiny
CJ MEDEVAC
  • MECHANIC
  • 11,004 POSTS
Still, things are not right

can send pics now, below! I'll test that too.

Notification for responses at this Site? I've gotten some Email notifications, but not for all. Either I don't know where to look or they don't have it (YET?) Been manually cruising posts to see if there are any replies. Have not seen EDIT or PREVIEW--Have seen the answer/ reply box get bigger, (or I mistakenly done it?)

This post would go straight to the top of the list, when it got a reply at the OLD SITE----I wanna see if it does, when I finish.

Pic test time!

This feller made racket, and knocked stuff over in the garage for 2 days, before I spotted the noise source, Just a little more than a baby.

I caught him and the Wife refused to come out and witness my SCS (Superb Catching Skills)---So when I got him in this DEEP container, I took 'im in to show her.I didn't know they had ELS (Exceptional Leaping Skills)(been around 'em all my life). Didn't know Wife did either, as she surrendered the computer desk to him!
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, November 19th, 2010 AT 5:39 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Sponsored links